Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th August 2010, 10:39 PM
Friend

Default "Nikon Owner" magazine

May I ask if anybody here subscribes to a magazine called Nikon Owner?

It was mentioned to me the last time I was in contact with Grays Of Westminster, and as well as the quarterly magazine, there are apparently other various benefits including extended warranties on equipment purchased at Grays.

However, what I'd like to know is if the magazine actually contains articles which may be of interest to film users, or is it purely digital talk? It would be interesting if it covered for example, Nikon's manual cameras and lenses (although admittedly most could only be purchased second-hand), but I have a strong suspicion it will only cover their latest digital equipment. I wouldn't have thought there would be any darkroom related articles either, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Any opinions would be welcome. Thank you.
Old 20th August 2010, 07:33 PM
Friend

Carl, it doesn't look as if we have any Nikon Owners subscribers here so I'll add my limited twopennyworth now.

Subscription to the mag isn't cheap but if you were intending to buy a number of Nikon items from Gray's it might pay to subscribe anyway, given the savings that follow subscription.

Given there are probably more Nikon film camera owners in the U.K. than any other film camera owners and Grays often promote the Nikon F range and sell the F6 I'd be surprised if the mag doesn't cater for film users to an extent but whether that runs to darkroom stuff at all I have no idea.

Mike
Old 20th August 2010, 10:35 PM
Friend

Hi Mike, many thanks for your reply.

As I understand, as well as the extended guarantee, members have access to an exclusive website & forum and a helpline in which Simon Stafford answers your questions.

I don't really expect there to be any darkroom articles bearing in mind that it's a Nikon magazine, but some reviews or discussions about film equipment would certainly be of interest, rather than just reviewing the latest D-SLR which could just as easily be published in any photography magazine. I take your point with regards to Grays and the Nikon F range, so perhaps this may be worth a little further investigation.

Thanks again.
Old 24th August 2010, 09:59 PM
Friend

I subscribed for a while - and yes they do actually publish the odd film related article or two. Its quite a good read mostly.

But overall it is digital - yes. But if I remember most issues covered lenses as well as bodies. With regular look backs at favoured lenses and bodies.

Mark

Mark
Old 24th August 2010, 10:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burley View Post
I subscribed for a while - and yes they do actually publish the odd film related article or two. Its quite a good read mostly.

But overall it is digital - yes. But if I remember most issues covered lenses as well as bodies. With regular look backs at favoured lenses and bodies.

Mark

Mark
Thanks for that Mark. I had a feeling it would cater more for the digital user rather than us film photographers. Looks like I'll give it a miss, I think.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.
Old 25th August 2010, 06:57 AM
Friend

Sorry Carl, I mean't the regular look backs are always film bodies and AI lenses mostly. So actually, they do cover film articles as well. I can probably send you some (if I can find them that is).

PM me with your address and if I can lay my hands on any I will send them on.

Mark
Old 25th August 2010, 08:56 AM
Friend

Quote:

PM me with your address and if I can lay my hands on any I will send them on.

Mark
PM sent. Many thanks indeed Mark.
Old 8th September 2010, 04:34 PM
Friend

Default Nikon User mags

Hope you enjoy them Carl.

Mark
Old 8th September 2010, 10:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hope you enjoy them Carl.

Mark
Thank you very much indeed Mark for sending them to me. It's most kind of you, and I'll certainly enjoy reading them.

All the best,

Carl.
Old 27th September 2010, 07:08 AM
Friend

Is this not the magazine that they send you free when you join the NPU?

You need to fulfil a minimum requirement of professional grade equipment filling in the registration on their website and then it comes out to you. I've been getting it for a while.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies