Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th July 2012, 12:32 AM
Friend

Default print washer

Hi all, I picked up a darkroom sink recently and a print washer very similar to this one was included in the deal.
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...asher-rotary-1
I say similar,it looks exactly the same,I just haven't found a name on my one.

It has I think six spray jets,the water releases when it reaches a certain point through siphon but it doesn't have anything in side to hold prints. I can't see any holder either in the link provided. Has anyone used one and would they have an idea of what I'm missing. Due to the curve I'd imagine it's a specific holder, although I'm guessing. If push comes to shove I'll just dunk and wash one print at a time,judging by the price of the deville an accessory wouldn't be cheap,well not as cheap as a €30 sink with washer thrown in. Any help appreciated.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySeagrave View Post
Hi all, I picked up a darkroom sink recently and a print washer very similar to this one was included in the deal.
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...asher-rotary-1
I say similar,it looks exactly the same,I just haven't found a name on my one.

It has I think six spray jets,the water releases when it reaches a certain point through siphon but it doesn't have anything in side to hold prints. I can't see any holder either in the link provided. Has anyone used one and would they have an idea of what I'm missing. Due to the curve I'd imagine it's a specific holder, although I'm guessing. If push comes to shove I'll just dunk and wash one print at a time,judging by the price of the deville an accessory wouldn't be cheap,well not as cheap as a €30 sink with washer thrown in. Any help appreciated.
Hi
I have washer of this type only stainless steel, there is nothing missing from yours, attach the hose to your water supply, when it is full, insert your prints, they should rotate in the washer in a similar way to a washing machine, in the one I have it is necessary to move the prints manually from time to time as they will stick, the more prints you insert the more likely it is to stick, no need to wash just one print at a time you should be able to get at least 10 10x8 inch prints at a time, obviously the fewer prints the more efficient the washing, if you are using RC papers you will only need to wash for a few minutes at around 20 degrees celcius, for fibre based prints about an hour to ensure thorough removal of fixer, this time can be reduced by using a hypo clearing agent.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add, I have taken another look at your link showing the deville washer which says it can take up to 35 10x8 prints, in my opinion this is rather optimistic for thorough washing, especially fibre based papers.

Last edited by vanannan; 7th July 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 7th July 2012, 02:31 PM
Friend

Thank you Vanannan for the reply, well that's good to hear although I'd say,judging by the amount of water mine seems to hold,about ¼ of the tank before it empties, that a couple of prints would be the maximum I'd wash at one time, which suits me fine at the minute. Thanks for the info,much appreciated.
Tommy.
Old 9th July 2012, 07:00 AM
Friend

I was not aware that Deville were still producing darkroom kit. They were the darkroome ancillary arm of Devere.
Old 9th July 2012, 10:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
I was not aware that Deville were still producing darkroom kit. They were the darkroome ancillary arm of Devere.
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but they have no Google presence apart from the link in the first post, I would expect a brand name to come up in a search in the first few pages, so either that washer is old stock or Deville are keeping very quite.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:16 AM
Friend

It's possible that Richards of Hull took over the manufacture of them.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies