Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2015, 11:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I would disagree. To listen to a masterpiece from a great such as Mozart, Wagner, or Prokofiev played well can stir the emotions. To view a well executed print, whether it be from a master or an unknown, can inspire and trigger memories. Hanging a picture on the wall can brighten a room and also hide an ugly stain
The trouble with Oscar Wilde quotes is that you never know whether he was being serious or not. I suspect this one was somewhat tongue in cheek.
Old 28th January 2015, 09:22 PM
Friend

Oscar Wilde and Salvador Dali had a lot in common.
Old 11th February 2015, 05:22 PM
Friend

Default yes

First i would argue that yes photography can be art. I go into galleries all the time both major and small and artists are showing photos and present them as part of their art.

I dont think there are many major works of photographic art, but their are certainly lots of artists using the medium.

The real argument is what is art, and thats a complicated debate, i refer to grayosn perrys reith lectures for a very accesible and reasoned case, but ultimately comes down to many things, does the artist say it is, does it feel like it is, does it look like it is, does the person who makes it call it a piece of art, does it cost alot of money, is it in a gallery etc etc. unfortunately you wont get many straight forward answers,and you have to ask a lot of questions but somewhere in their youll find some sort of idea
Old 30th January 2021, 11:27 PM
Friend

For me photography is a medium. A medium that can be used if required to produce art. Photography can be used for all kinds of other things, like for example, science.
Paint is a medium that can also be used to produce art, or it can also be used to prevent metal from corroding.
Photography is a medium and Art is a communication process.
Not the same thing, not mutually exclusive.
Photography can be used to produce art if that's what's required by the artist. Whether or not a given photo is good art or bad art is another question.
Fine Art is art that has no purpose other than to communicate a meaning or emotion usually through an aesthetic..
In other words it's not marketing, science, illustration etc.. or has any other ancillary purpose.
A Fine Art photograph has no other commercial or ancillary purpose.

Last edited by Jon Janson; 30th January 2021 at 11:37 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies