Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th April 2019, 12:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansm View Post
I noticed when I switch off the lights in my livingroom that there is a very dim greenish afterglow with the led bulbs. After some seconds it disappears.
Maybe something to check as well?
I have a white 'afterglow' in one set of low energy bulbs that I use in the darkroom (note, NOT LED bulbs), which lasts for a second or two. I use them to view my prints in the darkroom, as it's a daylight rated bulb. They are perfectly usable and the one I am using at the moment is probably about 12 years old! And just in case, I have a few spare that I bought at the time, not realising how long they would last. So there's not much chance of me running out of these for a while. Oh, and they have a built in air ioniser as well, which may / or may not, help with keeping any dust down, from the little that I know about these bulbs.

As for the new LED bulbs that I have purchased from B+Q, I haven't noticed this 'afterglow' happening but I will take a good look when next in the darkroom.

Terry S
Old 14th March 2022, 03:05 PM
Friend

At the end of a darkroom session over the weekend, I noticed a B+Q LED bulb packet with a bulb in it laying on the table as I was finishing. Looking at the bulb, it turned out to be one of the older 240V 100 watt bulbs.

I went to my enlarger and took the bulb holder top off and low and behold, there was a LED bulb inside.

I vaguely remember starting to test it, around April 2019, looking at the above posts.

At the time I was worried about the 60% power of the bulb only being used in the first instance, when turning it on, but especially with shorter exposures when doing test strips.

Well, I have obviously be using the bulb since 2019 with no noticeable problems, so I thought it only right to report back and give my backing to these bulbs.

If you have no back up bulbs, but especially if you use the 'older' style bulbs, it would be worth getting one for reserve. Mine is the 'warm' temperature one of B+Q's own brand (diall?)

Terry S
Old 19th March 2022, 12:32 PM
Friend

Nice to see your system working, Terry.

Thisadays I will find out the best working solution of using LEDs (by the way, LEDs aren't bulbs) in my Durst Laborator 138 first.
After gaining experience I wish to grade up the new to me Homrich VA 250 enlarging machine.

Here I have read a lot about warmtone LEDs.
But last year I have bought coldtone LEDs.

In the Durst's condenser head I will "just" replace the original 250 Watt Opal Bulb.
This means I have to bring in enough power for well printing through my 4x5" and 5x7" negatives.

In this engeneering stage both condensers and the projection mirror of the Durst will stay in place.

The Homrich 10x10" machine comes with a color head which means with onboard filters CYM and a huge light mixing diffusor box.

In the future some options will be possible to me:

1) Replacing the 4 original Halogen bulbs (250W each) without changing anything else, while hoping the LEDs will cooperate well with the onboard filters

2) Throwing away the original filter system, bringing in a kind of huge LED platform, using white LEDs

3) same as above, but with an LED - RGB system instead of Whites.

If interested I could throw in pictures of some of my working steps.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies