Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2022, 10:20 AM
Friend

I've never had this problem with my Opemus 6 with either ground glass or clear glass in the filter drawer. As has been suggested it may be the condensers. You could make a cheap temporary diffuser for the filter drawer from tracing paper, you lose a stop or so of light though.

In the past I had this with a DeVere Varicon 504, a full stop difference between centre and corners measured on the baseboard. It was designed as a point source enlarger with moving lampholder and the interior of the lamphouse black. I solved it by painting the lamphouse inside white (heat resistant paint), using an opal bulb and inserting a diffusing sheet in the filter drawer (made from a thin disposable plastic chopping board.
Old 27th January 2022, 06:51 PM
Friend

I am not well up on Meopta Enlargers and their condensers, but is it possible that as he is demonstrating the fall-off with a 6x6 negative, I wonder if the condensers are too small for the job? i.e. ones for 35mm when the neg holder is obviously 6x6.
Old 27th January 2022, 07:12 PM
Friend

According to the manual, one set of condensers is supplied to cover both formats. They sit in a tubular housing. The upper one can be removed for cleaning. I would check that both glass elements are present, and that the top one is sitting in the tube with flat side uppermost. The bottom one is fixed in the mounting tube.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 27th January 2022, 07:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I am not well up on Meopta Enlargers and their condensers, but is it possible that as he is demonstrating the fall-off with a 6x6 negative, I wonder if the condensers are too small for the job? i.e. ones for 35mm when the neg holder is obviously 6x6.
The Opemus 6 has only one double condenser, oversize, for both formats,only other thing I can think of is the top condenser, it is rempveable, and just check that it is in the correct way round, that is flat side to the top, other than that, and possibgly a problem with the lens, I am stumped, I hve had one for 25 years and never a problem
Richard
Old 27th January 2022, 10:02 PM
Friend

After 4 days the OP hasn't responded to any of our replies to his/her problem ( I use his/her because I can't see any way of determining the correct gender)

I mention this to point out that we may or may not be wasting our time with replies

Unfortunately FADU seems to have no way for members to discover if a new member is checking our answers and benefiting from them or not, as all we have is the date of original post. As he/she hasn't submitted any replies he/she hasn't amassed enough posts to be on the friends' list to check on last visit date

I mention all of the above only to make the point that if he/she is visiting it would be nice of he/she were to reply so we can be sure we are not wasting our time

PS I use the "royal we" as a reference to FADU in general as in fact I am not wasting my time as I know nothing of this enlarger so have nothing useful to say anyway

Mike
Old 28th January 2022, 01:09 PM
Friend

We have to remember he / she is a new member, so may not view / visit the site on a daily basis or longer, that a lot of members do.

And remember, it has only been about 4 days since the original post.

Just checking their profile, there was another visit on the next day after they joined the forum, so there is a chance yet that they may return.

I always like to look on the bright side, where ever possible.

Terry S
Old 28th January 2022, 03:19 PM
Friend

You are right about another activity the day after joining which I hadn't noticed and you may be right that the person is simply more relaxed than I would be to interact when I had a problem that I wanted to solve

I just thought I'd point it out

Mike

Tags
falloff, meopta, opemus
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies