Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th March 2022, 09:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost, just so I can brace myself I like the fact that he is good with TLRs
The last repair and service was £110, but when I had the Yashicamat 124 shutter serviced it was half the cost of the full service of the Rolleiflex 3.5E2. While mint the 3.5E2 had sat unused for 45 years, the lubricants had dried completely.

When I bought the Yashicamat the slow speeds were sticky, when John did the shutter CLA he called me to say there was slight twist in the focus frame. I knew it wasn't smooth, he said he could fix it, but we both agreed the cost was more than buying a better camera at that time, it's lasted another 15 years.

Ian
Old 27th March 2022, 09:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
The last repair and service was £110, but when I had the Yashicamat 124 shutter serviced it was half the cost of the full service of the Rolleiflex 3.5E2. While mint the 3.5E2 had sat unused for 45 years, the lubricants had dried completely.

When I bought the Yashicamat the slow speeds were sticky, when John did the shutter CLA he called me to say there was slight twist in the focus frame. I knew it wasn't smooth, he said he could fix it, but we both agreed the cost was more than buying a better camera at that time, it's lasted another 15 years.

Ian
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. He has just gone to the top of the list. If I could get the shutter fixed for, say £75 that would be perfect and not painful at all. It will also be good to get it looked over by an expert. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 27th March 2022, 01:16 PM
Friend

Hi Pete,

I think with respect to such costs in film photography, it helps to take the long view. Consider whether this is a camera you would enjoy using for, say, the next ten or more years. If yes, then the cost of a CLA is peanuts averaged over that time. I know that doesn’t help you in your immediate situation, but maybe it would make the expense a bit easier to justify. As in politics, it’s all in how you spin it, even to yourself

It sounds like this camera is worth it though - to get one in mint shape at a good price is a rare find indeed. It also seems like you’re being taken in by the charms of shooting a TLR….once you get a taste it’s hard to stop at just one (I speak from personal experience)

Hope it works out for you. You should get some fantastic images from that beauty.
Old 27th March 2022, 07:05 PM
Friend

Default Zeiss Ikoflex mirror

Last edited by PeteK; 27th March 2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 27th March 2022, 07:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Hi Pete,

I think with respect to such costs in film photography, it helps to take the long view. Consider whether this is a camera you would enjoy using for, say, the next ten or more years. If yes, then the cost of a CLA is peanuts averaged over that time. I know that doesn’t help you in your immediate situation, but maybe it would make the expense a bit easier to justify. As in politics, it’s all in how you spin it, even to yourself

It sounds like this camera is worth it though - to get one in mint shape at a good price is a rare find indeed. It also seems like you’re being taken in by the charms of shooting a TLR….once you get a taste it’s hard to stop at just one (I speak from personal experience)

Hope it works out for you. You should get some fantastic images from that beauty.
Hi Svend
Yeah, the TLR bug has bitten I had a similar thing with my MX. It is gorgeous and was well worth the £135 service charge as it will now outlive me. I am working on the same idea for the yashica mat. It really is pristine. It spent the last few years as a display in a cabinet. Time to bring it out of retirement as for "just one", don't forget my Zeiss ikoflex I had the mirror done and the view screen is now astonishing

Old 27th March 2022, 07:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Look at it this way. Get a quote from the guys in Bletchley as well and then make your decision. The cost of a mint TLR that is in perfect order and looking that way too, will outprice £200 and they are going to increase for a real good 'un.
He quoted me £65 for a full service. That's brilliant. Posting it tomorrow

Old 27th March 2022, 09:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
He quoted me £65 for a full service. That's brilliant. Posting it tomorrow

Let us know how you get on please. Did he say how long it will be away?
When he did My Minolta XM it was just over a week.
Old 28th March 2022, 12:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Hi Svend
Yeah, the TLR bug has bitten I had a similar thing with my MX. It is gorgeous and was well worth the £135 service charge as it will now outlive me. I am working on the same idea for the yashica mat. It really is pristine. It spent the last few years as a display in a cabinet. Time to bring it out of retirement as for "just one", don't forget my Zeiss ikoflex I had the mirror done and the view screen is now astonishing

Fantastic news about the Ikoflex. So happy that worked out for you. And the CLA cost for your Yashicamat is more than reasonable. It will set you up for decades of happy shooting.

Yeah, the TLR bug is a thing. At one time I had four (now only have two). They are so fun to shoot, and their image quality is just incredible. There must be something about the whole front plate moving to focus, versus internal elements moving as in other lenses, that makes the optical performance of TLRs just so good. An optical expert here can perhaps explain why. That, and the leaf shutter with no mirror whacking away inside makes the whole camera so much less prone to vibration. It's amazing how low a shutter speed can be used and still get sharp images.

And good on you for getting that MX CLA'd too. I've had one since about 1983 I think, and I will never sell it. I still shoot with it regularly....had it out today, in fact. Wonderful camera, and well worth taking care of.
Old 28th March 2022, 10:39 AM
Friend

Black on white quoted me £132 with a lead time of 8 weeks

Old 28th March 2022, 12:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Let us know how you get on please. Did he say how long it will be away?

When he did My Minolta XM it was just over a week.
OK, he got in touch but hasn't replied to my last two emails. Also the two numbers on his website are not recognised. Alarm bells are starting to jingle. Do you know if they are a) still up and running and b) just a little one man band. I have had lots of bad luck in my pursuit of a yashica mat and I really don't want any more

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies