Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2013, 02:56 PM
Friend

Default Agfa Isolettes... from Isorette to Super

I've been a fan of these little wonders for some years now. Not only are they well built and well designed, but they're also very useable and can produce really good results. They were my introduction to repairing and using old cameras and I'm sure they've helped many others on their way to this most rewarding of hobbies. They do have their issues, but they are mostly easy to fix.... well, apart from the Super Isolette which is a little more complex. It too suffers from the infamous green goo that Agfa used as a lubricant. Mine is in for repair at Newton Ellis at the moment. I've never been able to use it as the focus was nearly frozen solid. I've 'ungood' many before, but I felt this one deserved a proper overhaul.

I wonder how many of you here on FADU have and use an Isolette of some description?

If you don't... why not!

And so I come to the point of this post. I have more than a few of these cameras, a collection in fact... examples of each, but I'm getting a little tired of collecting cameras that I don't use - and not just Isolettes . So apart from the super... when I get it back... and a favourite or two, I propose to give away all the others in the hope that I encourage some others to take out an MF folder more often.

I'll dig them all out this evening and see what there is. Some work and some don't... I'll post the list in the FS section so we can keep this thread for discussion.
Old 1st March 2013, 04:14 PM
Friend

I use a lot of MF folders, mainly Ensign,(4) but I have folders from Balda and Zeiss Ikon, and I love using them, so easy to use and no bags of gear to carry, which helps my arthritic shoulders no end, just the camera, film and filters in my pocket, I don't have any Agfa folders, the problem with the bellows putting me off, the only one I ever bought the bellows were shot, the only folder I have had a bellows problem with. Everyone should have a folder, it gives a whole new perspective to MF photography, just one lens, light and easy to use and great results.
Richard
Old 1st March 2013, 04:43 PM
Friend

The only medium format Agfa I have is a Isola 1 but would love to try one of the Agfa folders. I have always liked Agfa the other two I have are 35mm

Christopher.
Old 1st March 2013, 04:53 PM
Friend

I have an Agfa Isolette 111 which I like very much and use from time to time. It has an uncoupled rangefinder and i must say I would use it a lot more if the rangefinder was coupled. The problem really is caused by the fact that I use reading glasses. I can't see the distance numbers without them, but they get in the way when looking through the viewfinder.

Alan
Old 1st March 2013, 05:04 PM
Friend

I am the proudly owner of an Isolette III. This one

It is my only one medium format camera and I shot nearly all my photographs with her. It is a great great camera: light, perfect size, robust and easy to deal with.
Old 1st March 2013, 05:40 PM
Friend

Domingo, she looks lovely. Especially dressed in red.
I've had a couple that needed new bellows. They had a plasticky type fitted which doesn't seem to fair as well as the leather variety. I replaced them on one with a set from a kershaw 110 which in general had great bellows. In fact the Kershaw 110 and its brothers was a very well made camera.

The IIIs seem to be popular, I suppose because of the built in rangefinder, but I agree, Alan, these are not so good with glasses. The whole thing with a rangefinder, built in or not, slows everything up.
With the basic ones I found an external viewfinder a better way of working.
I'll go and find the box of old cameras now....
Old 1st March 2013, 06:54 PM
Friend

I have a very nice Ansco Speedex Special R which is the US Ansco badged version of the Isolette III.

This was a gift from an APUG member who seemed to enjoy buying them, refurbishing them and giving them away.

Mine has a new leather bellows and had a complete shutter service. It looks and handles like new.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 1st March 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 1st March 2013, 07:29 PM
Friend

I have read somewhere on the net, and now cannot find it that mark 1 Isolettes had rubbish bellows and mark 11 were OK, not brilliant but OK.
The cameras with the ASA speed reminder being the mark 11.
Anyone care to comment?
Peter
Old 1st March 2013, 07:34 PM
Friend

I keep looking for MF folders but seldom see them. I like my two Franka Solidas but have been hoping to get hold of an Iskra (which I'm told is based on the AGFA) if I can ever find one at a reasonable price. I haven't seen an Isolette for sale for some time. I assumed they must be getting scarce.
Old 1st March 2013, 07:55 PM
Friend

MF folders do come up at Dealers quite often, there were 2 Agfa's recently on http://Collectablecameras.com, both were around the £50 to £60 mark, for serviced cameras.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies