Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th May 2015, 04:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
These were lengths of film about 36 frames long. basically a roll of film without the spool. Came in special light tight canisters, the film inside was wrapped in light proof paper.
Thanks Mitch. Yet another bespoke service that no longer exists

Mike
Old 16th May 2015, 10:42 AM
Friend

Hi Dave,

Whether you hand roll or use a bulk loader, make sure your working surface, and hands are absolutely clean. Also make sure your work surface is away from the curtains, bed and other usual source of dusts. (I know I'm going nuts!)

After seeking help from some very knowledgeable APUG and FADU members, I bought 25 plastic cassettes from Freestyle as they are less prone to shape distortion (compare to the metal ones). Here is what I do for bulk loading:
(1) I use a slightly damp cloth to remove any dust particles from each cassette both inside and outside. One needs to be careful enough not to wet the felt though. Hence this slightly damp cotton cloth. A slightly damp anti-static microfibre cloth (get the thin ones as they easier to clean) would be a better choice though. However, my cotton thingy hasn't caused me any problem. Since I have an A/C in the room, the clean area gets dried within 2-3 seconds. All the cassette canisters gets the same treatment. Then they go to clean, air-tight tupperware.
(2) To clean/remove any possible dart/dust specks from the felt area, I use those post-in type sticky papers. I slide one inside in part and then slowly drag it outside (once/twice).
(3) I clean the bulk film box and bulk loader before loading. I also keep the bulk loader in a plastic bag fully wrapped. If it gets humid you could put in some silica gel inside the plastic wrap.
(4) If something is not coming off I use small piece of tape. It generally works. But be careful to keep it away from the felt.

The processing cost might go up, but it's not as expensive films. So IMO, its' definitely worth trying.

I have a Prinz bulk film loader. But I'd recommend AP's Bobinquick (same unit is sold under Kaiser, and one or two more brands), or Lloyd's style bulk-loader - both are available at http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk. With the Lloyd's type, you need to pay special attention to it's felt area as dust can gather there. Always do a visual inspection and slide in a post-it note through it before refilling any 35mm cassette. After refilling each cassette, see if you see any scratch. If there is then check if the problem source is the bulk-loader or the cassette. Finding the problem later and inability to do anything is quite annoying.

Bests,

Ashfaque

Last edited by ashfaque; 16th May 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 17th May 2015, 10:34 PM
Friend

Default cost

Just been looking at the price of XP2 Super, from Morco my local supplier ( I can collect no P&P). 35mm 36 exp £5.50. Bulk roll 30.5m £66.00. From a 30.5m bulk roll you can get 19 36 exp. films (1.6m each film) cost £3.48 a roll. A saving of £2.02 a roll is it worth it?
Old 18th May 2015, 07:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Just been looking at the price of XP2 Super, from Morco my local supplier ( I can collect no P&P). 35mm 36 exp £5.50. Bulk roll 30.5m £66.00. From a 30.5m bulk roll you can get 19 36 exp. films (1.6m each film) cost £3.48 a roll. A saving of £2.02 a roll is it worth it?
Well, it's saving you about 35% on the cost of your film. Its a decent saving, especially for any folk shooting a lot of filmf. I'm sure if your local shop had a 35% off sale on film you'd fill your boots! Personally I'm not looking into this for economy though, more to do with the utility of having short rolls.
Old 18th May 2015, 08:24 AM
Friend

Don't forget to factor in that one day you will experience scratches / dust and this may cost you dearly on the loss of an important image.

The more you handle film emulsion in an amateur domestic situation the more likely these issues will occur. This is why sheet film users often experience scratches / dust etc., because the film has to handled to load / unload the dark slides. When 5x4 film Ready Loads and Quick Loads were available from Kodak and Fuji these problems were virtually eliminated.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 18th May 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Well, it's saving you about 35% on the cost of your film. Its a decent saving, especially for any folk shooting a lot of filmf. I'm sure if your local shop had a 35% off sale on film you'd fill your boots! Personally I'm not looking into this for economy though, more to do with the utility of having short rolls.

Have you tried XP2 super it comes in 24 exp. rolls? Exposure latitude of -2 to +4 and it is said to print and scan very well. The pano photos (are they Xpan shots) on your website look great any chance of posting a couple of Xpan shots in the gallery? How are you getting on with the Xpan, is it giving you what you want from 35mm? Cheers, Norm
Old 18th May 2015, 12:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Have you tried XP2 super it comes in 24 exp. rolls? Exposure latitude of -2 to +4 and it is said to print and scan very well. The pano photos (are they Xpan shots) on your website look great any chance of posting a couple of Xpan shots in the gallery? How are you getting on with the Xpan, is it giving you what you want from 35mm? Cheers, Norm
Norm, I've not shot XP2 although I have used the odd roll of Kodak BW400CN in the past. I'm not that attracted to it because I'd have then to get in C41 chems. I already have E6 chems in for my transparency film work, and I like conventional B&W because of the relative simplicity of the process. I should maybe try it though.

The pano stuff on my site is all mainly 6x12 or 6x17, as I've not had the Xpan that long. Its all scanned so probably not welcome on the gallery here, as I don't have any means to wet print xpan shots yet. I'm moving house this year, hopefully, so you never know if a 6x7 or 6x9 enlarger will find its way into the new house in the confusion.

This is Xpan, can't remember what film, probably Tmax in DDX. This however is from my last roll of Kodak EBX slide film. Shame kodak discontinued this film (to think you used to be able to buy a 36exp roll for £2 from 7dayshop. A roll of Velvia now has an RRP of over a tenner!). The attached shots are Tmax and Provia, should be obvious which is which!

So far yes I'm getting on with it great, straight away just feels nice and fun to shoot with. I've not really shot any 35mm seriously since stepping up to 120/4x5 about 7-8 years ago, so its great to go back to the ease of handling and feeling like you can shoot a bit more freely, but still retain a decent size neg. It's small enough to be able to carry it in a chest pouch up a mountain or alpine climbing route like I have with my GA645zi. The 45mm lens gives a very easy-to-use perspective, sort of wide but narrow. Viewfinder is good, focussing is easy, meter seems reliable, what's not to like? My only regret is not filling the freezer full of cheap slide film in 2006!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edin.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zorev.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2354   Click image for larger version

Name:	foxhouse.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	2355  
Old 18th May 2015, 01:44 PM
Friend

Great photographs, I also like my Fuji 645 for trekking, its a bit of a pain at times to mount on a tripod for landscape shots though. The climbing looks intense you captured it very well with a good sense of drama. Ogwen valley looks stunning, I have been many times and it always looks like that when I go, overcast with brooding clouds.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 18th May 2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added text
Old 18th May 2015, 02:09 PM
Friend

I did have a Fuji 645, the old manual focus one with the bull-bars, and that had a side tripod socket which was handy. Although it was on the same side as the hand grip, so sticking a quick-release plate on it got in the way of holding it properly.

Always thought it was a big shame more cameras don't have side tripod sockets.
Old 18th May 2015, 05:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I did have a Fuji 645, the old manual focus one with the bull-bars, and that had a side tripod socket which was handy. Although it was on the same side as the hand grip, so sticking a quick-release plate on it got in the way of holding it properly.

Always thought it was a big shame more cameras don't have side tripod sockets.
I am planning on making a lightweight L shaped bracket at some stage when time permits. Your Xpan would be a good tool to photograph climbers on Illam Rock in Dovedale, tried to photograph it many years ago but I could not get in the position I wanted.

Tags
35mm, bulk, loading, roll
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies