Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st November 2018, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
... and tone a lot but I’ve never found tongs that work for me so it’s fingers all the time ...

Michael
I don't want to hijack the thread but... Have you tried the Kaiser stainless steel tongs? Good grip and sprung-closed rather than you having to hold them closed. They are the only ones I can get along with.
Old 1st November 2018, 10:59 PM
Friend

I don’t think I know those ones, Bob. I’ve acquired a few over the years - no idea what brands etc but I’ll certainly take a look at the ones you mentioned. Default closed actually sounds good - like maybe someone thought about it
M
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:11 PM
Friend

I use a pair of yellow Marigolds when selenium toning - they have a nitrile rubber layer in them.

Other than that I don't use gloves but make an effort to keep the chemicals off my skin.

So - tongs for printing and new Paterson Tanks for film developing, to minimise the changes of chemicals coming in to contact with skin.

When I do get chemicals on me, its quickly under the tap to wash what ever it is off.

Needless to say, I have some designated hand towels to dry my hands afterwards.

Electrically, residual circuit breakers are a no-brainer for the darkroom - and indeed the rest of the house.

Martin
Old 2nd November 2018, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
I don’t think I know those ones, Bob. I’ve acquired a few over the years - no idea what brands etc but I’ll certainly take a look at the ones you mentioned. Default closed actually sounds good - like maybe someone thought about it
M
Usually retail for around 12-14 beer tokens a pair - most of the usual suspects sell them:

Old 2nd November 2018, 06:40 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob that’s very helpful.
Michael
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:48 PM
Friend

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Have you tried the Kaiser stainless steel tongs? Good grip and sprung-closed rather than you having to hold them closed. They are the only ones I can get along with.
When I'm not using the clips from my Nova slot processor, these are also the sort that I have close to hand for fishing out prints from all the various chemicals we use. I don't know how I acquired them but I too give them a big thumbs up!

Terry S
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but... Have you tried the Kaiser stainless steel tongs? Good grip and sprung-closed rather than you having to hold them closed. They are the only ones I can get along with.
I have 4 or 5 of these and find they are the better than any plastic tong s, I have used Patterson and AP tongs that clip shut, but they have a habit of breaking easily, but the stainless steel tongs such as the Kaiser seem to just last forever,
Richard
Old 18th November 2019, 09:32 PM
Friend

Resurrecting this old topic.

For around twenty years I didn't use gloves or print tongs. Then one day I was given a couple of old 1940s - 1950s photography books that had a bias towards industry and commercial photography.
A lot of the information contained in them was way over my head.
The only article that stuck with me was about dermatitis.

I think it was called Metol Contact Dermatitis.

What it briefly said was workers who had developed prints, both amateur and professionally without using gloves or tongs for twenty years plus have been known to suddenly be struck with serious dermatitis conditions.
Having worked for so long with wet chemical hands they thought they were immune to problems like that, and carried on oblivious.
Only to be given a serious wake up call when the inflammations occurred.
After reading that article I immediately bought and used a set of print tongs.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
That means that if a person of 70 Kilos consumes 49 grammes of pyrogalol they stand a 50% chance of death.
In my best Doric accent: "Tae a teuchter twa ful bottles of Glen Grunt wid be worse, I'll warrant ye!

I get these odd rushes of blood to the head usually when I hear a pipe band. In 1967 when we beat the England World Cup team my English friends couldn't understand me for about 2 weeks

Fortunately these are rare occurrences

Mike
Old 19th November 2019, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
What safety equipment do you use for your darkroom for film and paper development?

If you use gloves which sort are best? I'm not sure I like the idea of disposable ones as it seem a shame to keep throwing them away.

Thanks
David
NEVER used anything in 40 years, for B+W safety gone mad, like wearing safety glasses in school for conkers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies