Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd May 2019, 11:32 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Default Posted Image Size

I am still having problems with only being able to post small images (no 'clicking on image to view larger image' that others manage) without increasing the file size above the permitted 200 Kb (I have posted about this before but can't find it). I looked for the article about posting mentioned somewhere in this section of the forum but couldn't find that either - hence this post.

I scan (Epson Perfection 1250) my B&W prints as a colour picture and import it into Lightroom ver. 2 for checking the contrast and cropping. I then export it using the following entries on the export page:
JPEG, sRGB, Quality: 80
Image size: Long Edge 4 ins at 100 pixels per inch and 'Sharpen' for Screen.

What I am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Mike
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike.

4 inches @ 100 pixels per inch is only 400 pixels wide - that probably explains why you only get a small image.

We upgraded the image size a while ago so now maximums are 1MB file size with max 1,400 pixels each side.
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:37 PM
Friend

Mike,

changing the file type to B/W rather than leaving it in the colour space mode, reduces the file size, so you can afford to make the picture a bigger size without going over the 1mb limit. I also heavily reduce the quality level on the final saving to something like a 4 or 5 out of 10, as this keeps the file size smaller as well, without any noticeable (to me anyway) difference on a monitor. If I was printing out the picture it would be a totally different set of parameters that I would use.

And it's interesting for Bob to inform us about a new file size allowed, as I for one didn't know about it, but then again I've fallen behind with scanning and uploading my efforts for the print exchanges, so may have noticed if I had. But hopefully I'll find some time over the Bank Holiday to do a bit of scanning. Hopefully as I have a busy schedule.

Terry S
Old 3rd May 2019, 05:29 PM
Administrator

I've put a sticky thread with the current sizes at the top of this "Help!" sub-forum so it should be relatively easy to find in future.

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies