Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th February 2020, 06:28 PM
Friend

Default Hp5+ iso 650 in Microphen does it work?

I read on the rogerandfrances website that you can use Hp5+ at iso 650 with no detrimental effects. Has anyone here on FADU used this combination in 120 or 4x5 film? Does the Hp5+ retain good shadow and highlight detail when developed at box speed plus 11/3 of a stop?

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...materials.html
Old 19th February 2020, 06:42 PM
Friend

ive used hp5 at 800 and 1600 in 120 film with microphen stock. i had great results. good shadow detail. i can remember about highlights to be honest.

i would presume how you meter has alot to do with how the shadows and highlights are rendered.

hp5 is a very pushable film even beyond 3200. you do start to can more contrast and lose shadow detail but the highlights seems to go creamy and not look lost. i prefer pushing hp5 compared to tri-x as its much much easier to get a better workable print from.

Last edited by soulstar; 19th February 2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 19th February 2020, 08:05 PM
Friend

All theory on my part, Norm, as I haven't used it yet - still unopened in its packet in the darkroom- but if soulstar had not said so I'd have said that 650 in Microphen was well within HP5+ range with no discernible adverse effect.

Even Ilford who in all matters tend to be conservative with claims say that Microphen is capable to at least a third of a stop speed increase

Mike
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:37 PM
Friend

I regularly use HP5+ (120) rated at 800. I develop it in Microphen 1+1 for 15 minutes at 20°C. I love the results. I find it hard to distinguish from film developed at box speed TBH. Coincidentally I'm just processing some films taken in appalling weather in the Yorkshire Dales earlier this week. For various reasons a tripod was out of the question and rating the film at 800 meant I could handhold my Mamiya 7ii and still shoot at f8 or f11 for depth of field.

Sent from my SM-A260F using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I regularly use HP5+ (120) rated at 800. I develop it in Microphen 1+1 for 15 minutes at 20°C. I love the results. I find it hard to distinguish from film developed at box speed TBH. Coincidentally I'm just processing some films taken in appalling weather in the Yorkshire Dales earlier this week. For various reasons a tripod was out of the question and rating the film at 800 meant I could handhold my Mamiya 7ii and still shoot at f8 or f11 for depth of field.

Sent from my SM-A260F using Tapatalk
I would be interested in seeing an example of HP5+ in Microphen at 800 , please post an example in one of the galleries if you can find the time. It has hardly ever stopped raining/high winds since early October you did well to get out Rob, as the kids say nowadays, "respect".
Old 22nd February 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I would be interested in seeing an example of HP5+ in Microphen at 800 , please post an example in one of the galleries if you can find the time. It has hardly ever stopped raining/high winds since early October you did well to get out Rob, as the kids say nowadays, "respect".

You can see some at the links below. HP5 in Microphen is excellent with very good shadow detail. Delta 100 at 200EI is also good and gets the same time at HP5 so you could develop them in the same tank. The first three links are HP5 and the last Delta.

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...pdate.html?m=1

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...vivor.html?m=1

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...-eyes.html?m=1

https://onlinedarkroom.blogspot.com/...k-dog.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22nd February 2020, 04:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
There were several rather pleasant 'windows' in the weather. It was still wild and windy but not wet. On Wednesday morning I walked from Keld to Muker in Swaledale and the driving rain reonly started as entered the pub! I don't know about Microphen but Theakson's Old Peculier gives excellent results for life-expired photographers
Old 22nd February 2020, 05:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
There were several rather pleasant 'windows' in the weather. It was still wild and windy but not wet. On Wednesday morning I walked from Keld to Muker in Swaledale and the driving rain reonly started as entered the pub! I don't know about Microphen but Theakson's Old Peculier gives excellent results for life-expired photographers
Thank you for the links Brock, that is what I am looking for, good film speed to use on the go during our awful dull weather.
Rob, Old Peculier is best used replenished until the photographer is exhausted or fully expired.
Old 23rd February 2020, 09:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Just neg scan at this stage sorry, but it gives an idea of what the film is capable of at 800. I'll put some scans of prints in my album when I get some done. There is a lot of tone in the skies which doesn't render well in the straight scans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tractor skeleton.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	3619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drowned Grass 1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	3620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn, Swaledale .jpg
Views:	240
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	3621  

Last edited by Rob Archer; 23rd February 2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 23rd February 2020, 11:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Just neg scan at this stage sorry, but it gives an idea of what the film is capable of at 800. I'll put some scans of prints in my album when I get some done. There is a lot of tone in the skies which doesn't render well in the straight scans.
i got very similar results. like you said the scanner couldn't render the tones in the sky. when printed loads of info was able to be printed
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies