Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th June 2020, 08:14 AM
Friend

All of the apertures are ⅓ of a stop less than the more usual numbers we've got used to.
Now it would be much more difficult, for me at least, if the shutter speeds were also in the old ratios as well - 1/5, 1/10, 1/20, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, etc.
Some of the digital Sekonic meters can be set to display ⅓ stop, ½ stop or 1/10 stop - but the display of the "ticks" to indicate fractional stops along the bottom of the screen on the L-758 is very small. Thankfully, the aperture readout in the main part of the screen is much clearer.
The Gossen range could be of interest. The Sixtomat uses AA batteries and they last a long time. The Digisix is small and lightweight but uses the slightly more fiddly CR2032 button cells. It has a good clear display.

https://gossen-photo.de/en/sixtomat-f2/

https://gossen-photo.de/en/digisix-2/
Nik and Trick stock some of the range.
https://ntphotoworks.com/product-cat...-light-meters/
Old 4th June 2020, 08:28 AM
Friend

Please excuse my ignorance if "continental f stops" are different to the ones I am used to using in the UK.
Are they just different positions on the same scale normally in use today?
I am not sure if you are after something vintage or modern.
The meter I am using is a SEKONIC FLASHMATE L-308X.
It has three F Stop aperture modes. 1 step. 1/2 step. 1/3 step.

The modes are Photo including flash, HD Cine, Cine.

I just scrolled through the reading on the meter and they differ slightly form the printout in the picture.
On the 1/3 stop range there are four differences.

28 reads 29
35 reads 36
7.0 reads 7.1
12.7 reads 13

The meter itself is only a bit bigger than a packet of twenty cigarettes. A lot lighter than a Weston.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers.

SEKONIC L-308 X.pdf

SEKONIC L-308X APERTURES.pdf
Old 4th June 2020, 09:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Michael, check out the Weston Master meters:

https://www.westonmeters.info/the-masters

A quick look here turned up models 748 and 715 as having the scales you're looking for. There may be others as well.

Hope this helps....
I don't know abut the model numbers but the Weston Master 111 has them, but they are very small figures and tightly packed so difficult to read, especially if you need glasses. I think an estimate would be by far the easiest way to go. Say if the meter demands an aperture of F5.6 and the lenses you are using don't have click stops set the aperture ring about half way between F5.6 and F8. A tiny fraction of a stop is not going to make the slightest visible difference, even with slide film. (Assuming the meter is accurate in the first place.)
Old 4th June 2020, 10:17 AM
Friend

I have just been looking at my old Gossen Sixon meter. it list the apertures as normal and the shutter speeds as 2,5,10 ,25, 50, 100 etc. It also list the film speeds as 12, 25 ,50 ,100 etc.

There is a post here it explains why light meters use batteries or not. For anyone who maybe interested.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th June 2020, 01:31 PM
Friend

I am happily sorted, as an off-thread conversation with a fellow FADU member led me to the Pocket light meter app that runs on iOS 9.0 or later. I now have it running on a rather cheaply acquired iPhone 5c.

Our conversation did also conclude that the Sekonic L-308S and L-308X and XU will also do the job. My only reason for not going that way (yet) is that the app is more affordable right now. Thank you for all the comments and advice on this thread.
Old 12th June 2020, 07:43 PM
Friend

An iPhone 5?! Can you still buy film for those?

Seriously, glad you found a solution, and an easy one at that. I'll bet the numbers in that app are bigger than those on the Weston Master V...no reading glasses needed
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies