Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th July 2022, 08:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
Thanks for drawing them to our attention.
Mike
Mike, thanks for taking the time to view the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
But I can't help wondering if they would have been even better if they had been made with a regular 6x6 camera, and long exposures....
Alan
Alan, I understand your point, my intention behind the series was to get away from the look of a regular camera, hence I have been using Pinhole and Holga more than a conventional camera lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post

@ David
For me these are some of the most wonderful pictures of all forum albums.
Pure aesthetic and poesie.
Thanks for sharing fascination and bringing more inspiration to me,
Reginald
Thank you Reginald, that's very kind of you.
David

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 7th July 2022, 09:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Reginald, I have taken another look at David's pinhole photographs, and have to say that I think you are right. In particular there is a mystery about the first one that maybe couldn't have been achieved in any other way.
Alan
I am very pleased that you have found the aesthetic of pinhole photography by taking a second look to David's great examples.

In my opinion, simple lenses like meniscus or old Soft Focus lenses are able to describe the light himself.
Pinhole photography seems to describe the time.
The diffraction (disturbing the straight way of photons) from the tiny "aperture" hole then adds an extra bonus.

These wonderful tools, other than clinical sharp lenses, are really artistic ones.

Last edited by Reginald S; 7th July 2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 19th July 2022, 07:44 PM
Friend

Dear Reginald,
Thanks for your wonderful phrase about describing the time.
I love photographing with my beautiful ZeroImage 6x9cm and hope to once build my own simple large camera for contact printing paper negatives of 24x30cm.
Frank
Old 19th July 2022, 08:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
..hope to once build my own simple large camera for contact printing paper negatives of 24x30cm.
Don't hope so much - just do it :-)
Old 21st July 2022, 05:15 PM
Friend

Ever since I was given a Zero pinhole multiformat I have enjoyed using it and the photographs it makes. I have found that the simplisty has allowed me to concentrat on composition without all the fuss you get with a lensed camera ultematly leading to better pictures with the mechincal marvel I usally use

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have found that the simplisty has allowed me to concentrat on composition without all the fuss you get with a lensed camera ultematly leading to better pictures with the mechincal marvel I usally use
I quite often feel the same Mitch, when printing up negatives taken on my collection of (generally plastic) P+S cameras, with my favourite being one with a 17mm lens. The only two buttons to use is the shutter and the film wind on.

As expected, the lens is a little soft around the edges but still has a good overall sharpness.

As the film is a mixed bag of exposures, I use stand development with these cameras, which stop some of the exposures from being heavily dense, making them easier to print.

Terry S
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:59 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I quite often feel the same Mitch, when printing up negatives taken on my collection of (generally plastic) P+S cameras, with my favourite being one with a 17mm lens. The only two buttons to use is the shutter and the film wind on.

As expected, the lens is a little soft around the edges but still has a good overall sharpness.

As the film is a mixed bag of exposures, I use stand development with these cameras, which stop some of the exposures from being heavily dense, making them easier to print.

Terry S
Always wanted to try a 17mm lens does it have any distortion apart from the softness.
I also like the idea of stand development but with all things there is to much to try and not enough time to get round to it all

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd July 2022, 12:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Always wanted to try a 17mm lens does it have any distortion apart from the softness.
I also like the idea of stand development but with all things there is to much to try and not enough time to get round to it all
I haven't used it for a while, but was only recently thinking about taking it out for a day again. I don't remember it having any distortion, unlike a cheap lens of about 19 - 35mm that I bought some years ago for my 35mm slr's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185406319...0AAOSw4VViVIJu

If I can find a print I'll post it, but if not, I'll try to remember to post one of the prints made from the fresh film I want to do.

I was only looking the camera up on ebay again recently, as I misplaced the camera and thought that I would have to buy a new one and was surprised to see that it is still available, but at much higher costs. I think I only paid about £12 or so for mine brand new, but now it seems most of the ones I can find are in the US and start at about £50+ delivered, quite a difference! It's probably become more popular with the hipster / Lomo crowds:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...5&LH_PrefLoc=2

Edit: Just found one from Germany for about £43.00 delivered, but it only comes in 'Pastel Pink' :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275109277...8AAOSweT5h3-CB.

And just looking at the eBay ones for sale, I'm now thinking that mine's a 22mm lens and not an 18mm, so still pretty wide!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies