Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Pinhole

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd July 2022, 04:49 PM
Friend

Default The Appeal of Pinhole Cameras

As a shool boy in the late sixties, I made a pinhole camera from cardboard and sellotape.

It worked quite well, but I achieved much better results using the lens from my fathers watchmakers eye glass.

It was enjoyable getting a result from the home made, bare bones set up, but I cannot understand the people that spend a small fortune on a basic camera such as the ones on sale today.
To me the fun was in the making and success of my endeavour.

So what is the appeal of pinhole photography?

Cheers.
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:51 PM
Friend

I could only speculate, Nat, by trying and probably failing to put myself in a pinhole enthusiast's shoes.

Other than maybe trying it once as an experiment in an "I wonder" mood cannot see the appeal

I like the sound of the massed pipes and drums but others unless they could see that men in kilts were making the sound would contact the RSPCA

It either does something for you or it doesn't

Mike
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:00 PM
Friend

It is the simplicity of the whole thing, no shutter speeds or F stops, no need for meters etc, you can make a pin hole camera out of almost anything, and get an image, so simple,but yet a wonderful learning tool, and something that has endured from the very start of photography, I have made a lot of them, from shoe boxes to drink cans, and here we have someone with a converted van that makes pin hole photos.
Richard
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:54 PM
Friend

Pinhole photography can be more than only learning or enjoying in simple things.
I believe that pp today is far away from that and of course it can be a serious theme with great results.
Capturing so much time with such a weak "lens" can give pictures of soulfully deepness and pure poesie.

So why not using a more comfortable and ready-to shoot-camera?
Especially the precise machined pinholes give better results than pinhole-holes.
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:56 PM
Friend

It's the antithesis of what much of photography has become.

It's photography, at its most elemental and purest of forms.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 3rd July 2022, 09:28 PM
Friend

Impeccably uttered, Marty :-)
Old 4th July 2022, 03:20 AM
Friend

It is fun. Some of the commercially made cameras are beautiful. It helps you understand the importance and effects of reciprocity failure, and it gives you a chance to think very differently about light. One example from my Noons 6x12 pinhole camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44f-res 1400.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	4433  
Old 4th July 2022, 05:27 AM
New User

My greatest pinhole camera was fashioned from an old paint container. Flat black is preferred. Simply drill a hole using the tiniest bit available for your drill and sand the inside and outside to create a nearly flawless circle. The top comes off to insert the next roll of film, and a magnet works well for the shutter. Because I needed a big format image, I was merely placing 8x10 photo paper in it and scanning to acquire the positive from the negative. It also appears to be similar to a fish eye lens. It may be used to create some very unique photographs.
Old 4th July 2022, 07:14 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Horses for courses. It has little appeal to me. I can take unsharp and technically poor photographs with the quality 'simple' mechanical cameras I own. But then I have little creative imagination.

Mike
Old 4th July 2022, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
It is the simplicity of the whole thing, no shutter speeds or F stops, no need for meters etc, you can make a pin hole camera out of almost anything, and get an image...
Richard
I agree with Richard, it's the simplicity of it all that I like.

Personally I have made and have had fun with numerous boxes of various sizes, made into pinhole cameras. I will also admit to owning two well made by someone else pinhole cameras. I bought them both secondhand, so they were not highly priced, especially as they are unbranded cameras and both have laser etched pinholes. One takes 5 x 4 film holders, whilst the other takes 10 x 8 holders. Until now, I have only used paper negatives in them both and have been very happy with the results. Out of all of my pinhole cameras, I think I enjoy using my homemade cardboard box ones, with perforated tin foil apertures, basically because I can see how the end result was made, through just a few steps.

One difference between Richard and myself though, is that I like to use an exposure meter, which helps get repeatable good exposures, leading to good paper negatives and then prints.

And finally, writing about the subject, has reminded me that I haven't made any exposures this way in a while. So, hopefully by the end of the week, I'll find some time to expose a few sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
One example from my Noons 6x12 pinhole camera.
Well done Matt. I just wanted to say what a lovely image you've shown us, showing what is possible with this process. And just out of pure curiosity, are you the 'Matt King' that also visits the 'other' site.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 4th July 2022 at 11:54 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies