Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Top Tips

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th December 2019, 08:14 PM
Friend

Default Storing Cut Film Holders. Slide In or Out?

I have recently been reading about cut film/plate holders on other forums.
A thing that cropped up on three of them was,

"do you store your cut film holders with the slide in or out?"

Almost all go for storing in place to keep the dust out.
WRONG ANSWER.

I recently purchased a Rollei 6 x 6 Plate Adapter Back and a bundle of matching plate holders.

The instruction leaflet informs me …
"Note : Conserve plush-strip by always removing slide from empty holders before storing away."

A printed glassine paper bag with the slides reads...
"When the slide is not in use, keep the sheath withdrawn, so that the plush will not be pressed down."

There are plenty of arguments for and against, but this is the word from Rollei.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:48 PM
Friend

Store in, out takes up way more space. Best stored black top edge out as the white, plain metal/or metallic silver paint, means loaded and unexposed.

That's the universal way all pro's worked as assistants might change from day to day (freelancers) and you needed consistency no mistakes.

I use some Really Useful Boxes that are perfect for 5x4 DDS, and keep them in freezer/food bags to stop dust and alway add a not as to the film loaded or whether empty.

Ian
Old 9th December 2019, 09:06 PM
Friend

Empty holders are stored slide IN to save space and ensure sldes don't get lost. Slides are NOT pushed all the way home. That way I can see the holder is empty.
Holders are then packed in zip-lock bags.

Loaded holders are fully closed, and marked with a coloured stick-on dot.
Green HP5
Yellow Fomapan 100.
Blue was Velvia, but I don't shhot colour now.
Loaded holders go in my camera bag packed in 3's in zip-lock bags. I feel 3 is a manageable number to handle without dropping/getting wet/full of snow or sand at a time.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:44 PM
Friend

In all honesty, I hadn't really thought about it.
By way of default, the dark slides are left in their holders. But I can fully understand the reasoning behind leaving the slide out.
I prefer not to store them with film in for too long. And I also keep them in zip lock bags when clean and not in use.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th December 2019, 01:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I recently purchased a Rollei 6 x 6 Plate Adapter Back and a bundle of matching plate holders.

The instruction leaflet informs me …
"Note : Conserve plush-strip by always removing slide from empty holders before storing away."

A printed glassine paper bag with the slides reads...
"When the slide is not in use, keep the sheath withdrawn, so that the plush will not be pressed down."

There are plenty of arguments for and against, but this is the word from Rollei.
I think we will differ Nat, for as you state twice, it's about keeping the 'plush-strip' on your holders, in good condition. Straightaway it sounds like a different scenario to other holders of a different brand and different size.

I don't know about everyone else, but none of my 5x4 film holders have a 'plush' strip on them, so it matters neither one way or the other how they are left in storage and so it is basically the owners choice of how they do it.

Terry S
Old 10th December 2019, 05:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I think we will differ Nat, for as you state twice, it's about keeping the 'plush-strip' on your holders, in good condition. Straightaway it sounds like a different scenario to other holders of a different brand and different size.

I don't know about everyone else, but none of my 5x4 film holders have a 'plush' strip on them, so it matters neither one way or the other how they are left in storage and so it is basically the owners choice of how they do it.

Terry S
I interpreted the 'plush strip' as being the light trap inside the cut film holders, Terry. So I'd be worried if your holders aren't plush!
Although I could be wrong and some LF photographers really could be 'pimping-up' their film holders.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th December 2019, 05:20 PM
Friend

Precisely, Marty. You're not wrong, of course.
Old 10th December 2019, 07:41 PM
Friend

Aye, the "plush strip" is the velvet light trap were the slide goes into the cut film holder.

I have never had a true large format camera, but some years ago was given a couple of 5 x 4 plastic double dark slides to hold ortho film for experimenting under the enlarger. Both of them had velvet/plush light traps. They were only visible if you really peaked down the slot that the slide went into.

Even though I never owned a 5x 4 I do remember reading about using them and a piece of advice given by one chap was, after focussing under the red cloth, allow the cloth to hang over the side that the slide was to be inserted into the camera. That way any small light leaks with the velvet seals would hopefully be shielded by the bunched up red viewing cloth.

Is that a practice still undertaken today?
Old 10th December 2019, 08:20 PM
Friend

Funny you should mention this Nat because I’ve been looking into a possible new dark cloth and in one video the photographer talks of using one make dark cloth in the way you’re referring to.
I’ve also heard of dark slides being left in the holder and not being removed completely in order to prevent light leak. Naturally, it shouldn’t be a problem, if the cut film holders are in good order.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th December 2019, 08:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I interpreted the 'plush strip' as being the light trap inside the cut film holders, Terry. So I'd be worried if your holders aren't plush!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Aye, the "plush strip" is the velvet light trap were the slide goes into the cut film holder.
This is all new to me peeps - honestly! 😋

But I've just checked two 5x4 pinhole cameras that I have in my conservatory, and neither have film holders in them for some reason...

So, tomorrow I will be popping up to the darkroom to hopefully do a bit of printing; to look for a missing bottle of stock ID11 and of course a film holder or two. And I'm sure you're all correct, but I have just never noticed it before - I'm constantly amazed by how much I learn something new on this site. 😊

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies