Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th November 2021, 08:33 PM
Friend

Default bowens compatibility

I have been looking into bowens flash heads and power packs ,what will plug into what ,I got in touch with Clive Christian <flashrepairs@aol.com> he has been a mine of information and knowledge ,and very helpful ..Here is a part of what I ask him in a email .

Is there a list that shows what Bowens heads will work on what bowens packs .for example I have a Bowens Duo lite and dont know what other heads would work on it .
here is his reply .

Hi Paul

There isn’t a list that I know of.
Bowen’s usually just changed the plug if the heads were incompatible with the other packs.
The heads with the large 20pin sockets ( Quad, QuadX and Duo) should work on all the other packs with the corresponding 20 pin socket.
The only exception to this rule is the Creo pack which had a very short duration flash so would recycle too quickly for some of the older heads.
Always good to use Creo heads with Creo packs.

The heads have links within the plugs that tell the pack what their power rating is. This means that the pack will not work if the head is not right ( e.g plugging in a 1.5 k head in a 3k pack)

Duo packs should except the whole range of heads from my knowledge.
The Duo 4800 however will only work with a single 3k head if it plugged into Channel B ( this channel’s maximum output is 2400w)

As a rule of thumb, though all heads are technically compatible with each pack, the older heads were not designed to withstand the higher shoot rate that is possible with the later packs so have to be used accordingly.

Hope that helps. If confused by anything, don’t hesitate to ask.

Clive
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies