Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th July 2022, 12:58 PM
Friend

Default Hi Everyone

Hello all I have in the past year started to get back taking monochrome photos and about too start processioning them myself. This past year I have been using commercial labs for developing film and having them scanned,then printed Giclee on Hahnemühle Photo Rag.
Now it's been more than 40 years since i was last in a darkroom and lots have changed since then. Back then i was using Ilfobrom in different grades, alongside RC multi grade both Kentmere and Ilford.
So that's my past history and would like any advice on where i should be looking start getting back into the darkroom
Bill
Old 17th July 2022, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Bill.

Yes, you are right, a lot has changed in 40 years. But I guess you could have said the same 40 years ago (tho probably not on t' Internet - unless you were a fan of usenet ).
Old 17th July 2022, 07:30 AM
Friend

Welcome Bill
I am presuming we are talking kitchen sink developing. I got all my stuff off eBay. You can often pick up nice bundles. Tank wise Paterson are the easiest to source but get super system 4. The older ones can be brittle. AP/Jessops are also good and probably dribble less. I have two spool tanks but could do with a three for the odd days when I am developing 120 & 135 in the same goop. N&T do a complete kit but it lacks a dark bag. Re. Dark bags, don't get anything rubberised as it soon makes your hands sweat.heavy cloth is best and make sure it is large. I have a medium one and it can get a bit ... full. Regarding spools, Paterson spools are great but the Keiser/AP ones are a hundred times easier for 120 because they have a guide for your film. I would say have fun, but if you are anything like me, that's a given
Peter

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 17th July 2022, 08:28 AM
Friend

Hi Bill and welcome to fadu.
The first thing I'd do is make or find a space that can be made light-proof. It doesn't have to be permanent or very large.
Secondly, source hardware, enlarger, timer, easel, safelight, focus finder for the 'dry side'. And trays, measuring jug, storage containers, stirrer, thermometer, tongs, clock for the 'wet-side'.
Finally, sundries, paper and chems.

That should get you going.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th July 2022, 11:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmc View Post
...would like any advice on where i should be looking start getting back into the darkroom
Bill
Hi Bill and welcome.

To save a lot of unnecessary lists of items being recommended to you, it would be helpful if you could tell us what darkroom items you already have, if any? And then what format film(s) are you thinking of using i.e. 35mm only, or MF 120 as well etc. We can then help you from there.

Terry S
Old 17th July 2022, 12:09 PM
Friend

Hi Bill and welcome. I'd endorse what Terry has said about telling us what you have got first

The good news is that film processing remains much the same

Once you get the minimum of equipment you'll quickly get back into the swing of things

Mike
Old 17th July 2022, 12:31 PM
Friend

Welcome aboard!
There's plenty knowledge here to get you back up and running again.
I've built some wooden panels to cover the windows of our attic so I can turn it into a darkroom within a few minutes. I hang some blankets over the panels to cover any stray light and this works perfectly fine for making wet prints.

Films (35mm & 120) I put in a Paterson tank using a changing bag and I develop them in our kitchen sink. All this can be done in daylight then (as it could be done 40 years ago).
Old 19th July 2022, 07:27 PM
Friend

Hi Bill,
Welcome to FADU, the friendly place for analogue photography.
Just think over what you really need in the beginning and start from there. I also got back after a 20 year pause and am very glad I got in again. You can find all the equipment you need at our partner:
https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/
Cheers, Frank
Old 20th July 2022, 10:59 AM
Friend

Default Thanks for you replies

Firstly thanks for your replies.
An update. I have joined a local camera club, where all the necessary kit is available to use. Where you just pay for darkroom time.I have posted an album with various images that were taken over the past year, all images on different stock, this was an ex-permanent to find films I would use, on a regular basis I have narrowed it down to 2 35mm and 120 film stock. Kentmere 100 and Ildord HP5 +, it's unfortunate you cant get Kentmere in 120 as i do like the results form it in 35mm format.
Keeping to Ilford stock I was planning on using ID11 as my developer probably @1:3.
Paper and developer any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Bill
Old 20th July 2022, 11:17 AM
Friend

Good choice, I like both films a lot!
And ID-11 (or D-76 for that matter) is also a good choice. I prefer to use it 1+1 but that's just a matter of taste.

Ilford's MGRC DeLuxe is a really terrific paper, but has seen a serious price increase in mainland Europe last year (+50% since my last purchase about 18 months ago).
So I started experimenting with Foma papers a bit as they are much cheaper over here. They're very nice as well, even though I think I like Ilford MGRC DeLuxe a tiny bit more over Fomaspeed paper.
But perhaps prices haven't increased that much in the UK, in which case I would definitely encourage you to try the MGRC DeLuxe paper to start with!

If you go the Fiber route, Fomabrom papers are stunning and they are affordable.
I have only little experience with Ilford FB papers and only very old stock, but seen great results from others on Ilford Fiber papers.

For developer it doesn't make too much of a difference with these papers, you could start with Ilford Multigrade developer as a lot of people are happy with it.
I use Kodak Polymax T, mainly because of availability through my favorite retailer.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies