Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th July 2010, 02:12 PM
Friend

Default Instruction Manuals

What about creating a section on the forum for copies of instruction manuals - or links to - for enlargers and other darkroom equipment.
I think we've all been after one at some point so some form of database might be useful. It would also bring a lot of traffic to the forum.
Old 13th July 2010, 02:27 PM
Friend

There could well be copyright issues with reproducing manuals - even if they are obsolete. You have to be careful, and rightfully so, about reproducing printed work and recorded media, without prior consent. When I am looking for something like this I go on the net and see what is already out there. Sometimes its free and other times you have to pay a modest fee. Old Timer Cameras exist of course and are a very good at supplying manuals and other printed matter at a reasonable cost.

I am sure the other admins will advise further and may have something to say about your database / links ideas.

Many thanks for raising these items.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 13th July 2010, 02:51 PM
Friend

I was thinking of something on the lines of 'Butkus' but for darkroom stuff. He's had his 'information' library going since 1997...
I can understand your caution though. I guess someone out there may know the ins and outs of this sort of thing.
Old 13th July 2010, 03:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
There could well be copyright issues with reproducing manuals - even if they are obsolete. You have to be careful, and rightfully so, about reproducing printed work and recorded media, without prior consent. When I am looking for something like this I go on the net and see what is already out there. Sometimes its free and other times you have to pay a modest fee. Old Timer Cameras exist of course and are a very good at supplying manuals and other printed matter at a reasonable cost.

I am sure the other admins will advise further and may have something to say about your database / links ideas.

Many thanks for raising these items.

Neil.
I agree with Neil, after all few of us would be happy to have our work copied and given away.
Old 13th July 2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I think the copyright issue is fairly straightforward: if it was printed, someone, somewhere, owns the copyright.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely that a manufacturer, even if that company still exists, will pursue someone making copies of manuals available free of charge for what is almost certainly obsolete equipment. I do not believe for a second that Old Timer Cameras and others have obtained permission to sell copies of the hundreds of manuals that they sell for a profit. Likewise Butkus and others have hundreds of files available for obsolete cameras etc without apparent problem. I really do not think the manufacturers consider it a problem.

The main problem from my point of view is technical: the need to create a database driven web presence and link it into the forum would take some time (or sufficient experience with php & mysql. Now, if we could use ASP.NET ... ).
Old 16th July 2010, 08:01 PM
Friend

I am shure you can make one copy for your own use of anything that is copyright, ie. you must not sell, or pass it on to anyone, think of photocopy machines in libraries......

Bob Smith
Old 24th September 2010, 04:19 PM
Friend

I don't know what it is like in the UK but here in the states there is much misunderstanding of copyright.
Without going into buckets of minutia ... a salient point (again here in the US) is that if it is for education - basically it can be done with impunity.

One thought of course is to write the company to see what their stance is. I would think that most companies would like the idea as their products are subtly advertised. I do think that this is a very good idea.
Old 24th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Friend

If you need instruction manuals for cameras,and other photography related stuff, then try googling orphan cameras, a great site which I have used for many an instruction book for my classic camera collection,Richard
Old 24th September 2010, 06:10 PM
Friend

Most instruction manuals can be found FOC on line, I've never had a problem
Bronica ETRS - easy
Magnifax - doddle
Kaiser - no sweat
Olympus - Easy peasy

I've run out of adjectives but you get the message...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies