Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2010, 09:34 AM
Friend

Default Medium Format prints

Hello everyone,
Hopefully someone can help me with this,bit confused!!
I have started to print medium format negs on a Durst M605 using an 80mm lens set at f8 and iam printing on 8x10 paper.Now some of my images i can focus and print on the full paper 8x10 with a border BUT some of my images i can only get focussed and print 6.5 x 6.5!!
Where am i going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Old 30th October 2010, 09:39 AM
Friend

How far up the column do you have the head positioned?
Old 30th October 2010, 10:15 AM
Friend

So at a certain enlarger head height you can project the neg to give you 8x10 and then you switch to another neg of the same size and at the same height you can only get 6.5 x6.5. Have I got this right?

I can only think that something simple has changed which has been overlooked. I cannot think of any reason why say one 6x6 or 6x4. neg prints at 8x10 but another identically sized neg does not.

Have another close look at what you did when this happened, and if it still isn't clear what the problem is let us know exactly what you did in detail.

Actually let us know anyway what the cause was even if you do get to the bottom of it. Always nice to see a solution after a problem is posed

Mike
Old 30th October 2010, 11:14 AM
Friend

This may sound stupid but have you in between MF printing changed to print 35mm and then gone back to MF, and just possibly not changed something in the way the 50mm lens for 35mm and 80mm for mf mounts? unless you have changed something the there is no reason, carefully check all the settings, and the head height and then come back to us,Richard
Old 31st October 2010, 10:59 AM
Friend

With LPL and Kaiser enlargers you have to mount an 80mm lens in a different lens board to a 50mm lens or with the LPL reverse the lens board. This changes the lens to negative distance and if this not set at the correct level you cannot focus normally. I would think this would apply to all enlargers.

Tony
Old 31st October 2010, 04:35 PM
Friend

I have a 605 and on page 10 para; 3.1.7 of the manual it says two lens boards, the recessed for 50mm lens flat for 80mm - have you by any chance been using the wrong panel?

David.
http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies