Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2011, 01:35 PM
Friend

Hi,
Sober again.

Re:Focus
using the Nikon lens and the ilford kit I can focus onto a Beard easel at a max height of 19 inch, the bellows are compressed to 17mm ish at that point.

Without the ilford kit i can focus at full height.

Using the Durst, for exactly the same image size, i need to focus about 10mm lower down the column.

I am using 35mm negs.

I do use the full height of the column for cropping images.

vanannanTotally cool - that's the way I'm going. Thankyou so much.

Re:Sharpness.

I have just taken a spare head apart to see how it works. You Guys will know all of this.

The Dichrotic filters are three different pieces of thin glass, each about 7mm apart, the proportion of which that is in the light path, varies with the setting used.

The "mixing box" is a 45 degree reflector made of slightly rippled chrome, or some such, and the rest of the mixing box is smooth reflective stuff.

I believe the filters make the head much more of a diffusion head than when they are not used.

I would be interested for someone else to repeat this experiment.

Thanks

IAn
Old 7th November 2011, 06:02 PM
Friend

Some points for consideration.

You could just get a deeper recessed lens panel. ( the dome points up from the lens towards the neg and not down towards the lens. (n.b. Not the case for longer focal length lenses but for short focal length lenses which need to be closer to the neg.))

Is the recessed lens panel an original durst one ?

The shorter the focal length of the lens, then generally the closer to the neg it needs to be.

You should have three screws with your under the lens kit which allow you to attach the filter holder to end of lens without using the three legged thingy. The have rubber caps on the end to grip the lens barrel.
Old 7th November 2011, 06:09 PM
Friend

Good thinking.

yes the lens panel is original Durst.

I will look in the box re filterkit mounting on end of lens.

Thankyou.
Old 7th November 2011, 06:58 PM
Friend

Yes, looked in box. It's all there.

It really is the case that if all else fails, read the instructions.
Old 7th November 2011, 07:29 PM
Friend

Ian I just checked my bellows again and full compression without strain gives a figure of 14mm so unless your 605 or mine isn't standard there should be another 3mm of compression which will make a difference to focussing.

That combined with nothing under the recessed panel( I think another 3mm was mentioned) should give enough extra focussing range

Mike
Old 8th November 2011, 01:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
Yes, looked in box. It's all there.

It really is the case that if all else fails, read the instructions.
I think the idea is to read the manual before you start so you know what you've got
Old 8th November 2011, 06:58 PM
Friend

Having just remounted the under the lens kit with the ilford screws. I think the Vanannan method is probably better. The three legged horror is a thing of beauty in comparison.

1. The screws poke out and foul everything. You have to organise it so the filters go in from the side.
2. There is only just enough room on the lens for the screws to get a purchase without fouling the under side of the neg stage. It will come off at some point, probably when twisting it all to adjust aperture.

why didn't i buy that nice kaiser with a filter drawer? But I guess they have their own problems.
Old 8th November 2011, 09:32 PM
Friend

The Durst Condenser head (on an L1200) is really nice with respect to the filter draw - The down side is I need to cut the 6" square gels down to fit.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:39 PM
Friend

do you know which actual lensboard you have ?

is it a "SIRIOPLA", "SIRIOTUB" or "VEGATUB" ?

it should be a SIRIOPLA which is the flat one for a 50mm lens I think.

The SIRIOTUB was designed to use a 35mm focal length enlarger lens and the VEGATUB is a top hat extender for longer lenses used with 6x6 or 6x7.

If you are using a SIRIOPLA then get yourself a SIRIOTUB and your three legged thingy won't cause a problem. But if you are using a SIRIOTUB (recessed board ) and you are running out of focus with a 50mm lens, then something is wrong with your setup somewhere.

And if you are using a SIRIOTUB or VEGATUB which are pointing down from the main lens panel fixing panel then use the SIRIOTUB so that it is recessed above the fixing panel.

The SIRIOTUB shouldn't really be needed but with the 3 legged thingy it may be.

N.B. since I don't have your actual enlarger I may be wrong about which panel is required but normally you don't need a recessed lens panel for standard focal length lenses. i.e. 50mm
Old 8th November 2011, 11:57 PM
Friend

Oops, just read that the "SIRIOTUB" is the standard panel for a 50mm lens on the M605

There is also a "Neriotub" lens panel which is even deeper (40mm ) and with the M39 thread I think.

Last edited by Argentum; 9th November 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies