Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2016, 05:06 PM
Friend

Welcome Kluas

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 7th November 2016, 06:00 PM
Friend

Hi Klaus.

Welcome to the forum.

Ian
Old 7th November 2016, 08:27 PM
Friend

Hi Klaus welcome to the forum
Old 7th November 2016, 08:34 PM
Friend

Wow, thanks a lot gents (do excuse if I forgot a lady) for the very warm welcome!

Trying to answer/reply to a few posts:

@EdmundH: Nice to see someone else shooting Super8! Scanning is the way to go these days for negative material, although Andec in Germany does make positive prints as well. I'm lucky being able to still shoot on E100D reversal material, I hid a stock in my freezer prior to it being discontinued, but those supply are non-replenishable. I'm putting high hopes in the Ferrania project

@John King: Ah yes, very popular with the motorcyclists. I'm not far away from Bavaria, Passau would be the next bigger city in Germany, about 20km away. Holler, if you should be in the area!

@SvendN: Skiing is the thing we are probably most renowned for, worldwide, after Mozart. Glad your daughter liked Vienna! I don't visit it that often, sadly. The back alleys are very interesting photographically speaking.
Yes, there is a resurgence amongst young people. For many, who never used it before, it's a novelty. For me it's an escape from the digital world, and in the case of the darkroom, being able to create something with my hands, which I'm very partial to. It's just not the same sitting on the computer and pushing a few sliders or going through a few test strips and work prints to really physically work towards a goal.
Old 8th November 2016, 12:49 PM
Friend

From everything I've seen and heard, Austria seems to have had a bit of a snow drought the past few winters. Every WC race I see from there has a white ribbon of chemical snow flanked by brown meadows and forests, spectators in t-shirts. I meet a lot of Austrians on our slopes here in the Rockies who are disheartened by what's been happening. Wishing you a better season this year!

Svend
Old 8th November 2016, 05:21 PM
Friend

Well, yes, that is indeed the case. We had a small ski resort (well, just one hill, really, but great for a quick Sunday afternoon out) just 10km away. They quit about five to six years ago. The winters that followed since they closed would have allowed them to operate for not at all to two weeks at the most. When I was a wee boy, there would be snow for months... So, yes, there is a snow draught. I even was a skiing instructor for kids during my University years, now I don't really ski anymore. It's become too expensive for me to enjoy it, when I feel ripped off every second of the day... (Note the difference between being able to afford it and wanting to afford it ). It's actually a very big problem - many Austrian families can't afford skiing holidays anymore, leading to a lack of young people learning it...

Last edited by maltklaus; 8th November 2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 8th November 2016, 05:27 PM
Friend

You seem to be getting enough of it at present. Just have a look at the Grossglockner webcams
Old 8th November 2016, 07:02 PM
Friend

There's always snow on the Großglockner For now
Old 8th November 2016, 07:06 PM
Friend

Gee, Klaus, if you think skiing in Europe is expensive, then you would be shocked at what the resorts in N. America charge. Most western resorts are now at $100/day in the US and Canada; eastern N-A is better, but not much. With our poor CDN-USD exchange rate that means our cost is around C$135 at US resorts. It's bad enough in Canada, but we simply don't go stateside any more to ski - it's absurdly expensive, esp. for a whole family. Shame, as there are some great ski areas in the US.

I think it's still much less costly in Austria(?). Yet, there are lots of Austrians, Germans and Swiss skiing in our Rockies. Presumably all desperate to see real snow again. I understand the addiction - I couldn't get through a long Canadian winter without skiing.

Cheers,
Svend
Old 8th November 2016, 11:53 PM
Friend

Servus Klaus, nice to find you here!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies