Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2018, 10:12 AM
Friend

Default Hi from Sussex

Hello Rob here from Sussex

Recently joined because I have bought a film body which fits my lens collection. I have a film developing tank & other bits from ages ago & have bought some new chemicals. I hope to start developing B&W films. Maybe I'll get into printing as well at some stage, when I have a bit more space for a proper Dark Room. For starters I probably will just scan the negs. Just need to get a scanner.

I was looking at the B&W film available from some of the sponsors. SOme brands I have never heard before some a pound or 2 cheaper than Ilford & Kodak offerings. Does anyone use them & are they any good ?
Old 21st February 2018, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Hi Rob, and welcome aboard!

You'd need to be specific about what films you are looking at but in general, yes - the majority of branded film are very good.

All have their strengths and their weaknesses (and sometimes their quirks!) however, so let us know which films you have in mind and the chances are some here will have tried them.

Have fun, Bob.
Old 21st February 2018, 10:56 AM
Friend

Hi Rob, welcome to Fadu.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st February 2018, 11:57 AM
Friend

Welcome Rob If it is Fomapan you as thinking of then you will not be disappointed.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:15 PM
Friend

Default B&W films

Hi Rob, I'd advise you to stick with Ilford or Kodak films,which all give outstanding results. That way, if your negatives don't turn out right then you'll know it's down to your processing or exposures, not the film.

There are some very interesting films out there, but at this stage their varied characteristics will just confuse your learning process. (I say this from experience!).
Old 21st February 2018, 12:41 PM
Friend

Hi Rob, and welcome to Fadu, If you are thinking of giving Fomapan a try then you will be very poleased, I have been using fomapan film for 20 years as virtualy my only film and love it
Richard
Old 21st February 2018, 02:00 PM
Friend

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 21st February 2018, 02:07 PM
Friend

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have used Kodak & Ilford in the past (20 years ago or so), with good results. I will try some Fomapan next.

I'm mainly using 35mm film at the moment since I bought a Nikon film body to use because I have a selection of lenses I can use.

When I was a child I used my Great Uncles Rolliecord TLR & very much like the pictures I took with it. I now have my other great uncles Rollieflex TLR too. So I will probably have a play with them at some stage.

Question: If I were to look for an enlarger is there one that will take 35mm film & 120 roll film too, or does this require 2 seperate enlargers ?
Old 21st February 2018, 02:25 PM
Friend

Hi Rob, getting aan enlarger for both 35 and 120 is not a problem, I use a Meopta Opemus 6 for both 35mm and 120, all you need is different lenses for the formats, 50mm for 35mm and I have 1 75mm for 120, both 66 and 645, plus the masking frames for the formats you need, just look at SDS, a forum sponsor, who always have a good selection of used enlargers, I have both a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflax, lovely cameras and produce the goods
Richard
Old 21st February 2018, 03:45 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard,

Another question

Do most enlargers use the same diameter thread for the lenses ? The reason being that I have a couple of Nikkor EL lenses that I use reversed for macro photography, & was wondering if they would universally fit an enlarger like the one you mention. I think I have the 50mm F/2.8 & I'm not sure about the other because it's stored elsewhere.

Rob
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies