Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2011, 01:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Looks fine to me Miha - are you concerned about the sprocket holes?
No, not really - I sort of like them.

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2011, 01:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
No, not really - I sort of like them.

Thanks!
Yes, I like them too, I was wondering why you felt you may have gone too far.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 17th February 2011, 01:46 PM
Friend

I'm not sure how will they look like on a 12x16 print (this was 8x10). I usually see the borders to be thinner, so I'm a bit surprised with my result - in a positve way so to speak
Old 17th February 2011, 03:36 PM
Friend

Looks fine to me, kind of holds the image in, Black lines can look fine with the right image,Richard
Old 17th February 2011, 04:45 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard!

"kind of holds the image in" is exactly why I like the borders.
Old 18th February 2011, 09:32 AM
Friend

I used to really like the black borders I got naturally with Kodak Type R prints and Ilfochrome. Pity that type R paper is no more and Ilfochrome is prohibitively expensive now.

I've never tried printing black borders on B&W prints. It strikes me as something that's probably more trouble than it's worth, especially for those of us who crop most prints at least a little and see nothing wrong with cropping and nothing inherently superior in using the entire negative in it's native aspect ratio. If a photo can be improved by cropping (which most but not all can) I crop it.

I have found 4x5 contact prints can look so good they're worth showing, albeit a bit small, and in that case the borders will naturally be black. If I ever get into 5x7 or, better yet, 8x10 I can see displaying contact prints from 8x10 with some of the black border - assuming it wouldn't be improved by cropping of course! In which case, get the paper cutter!
Old 19th February 2011, 12:16 AM
Friend

This thread prompted me to have a go at black borders the other night and while it might not suit all prints and was a bit of a trouble to do by free hand I was impressed.

If it is a crop and nearly all my prints are then my first thoughts are to establish the print size with the normal two arm easel then have a black plastic rectangle of that print size cut with a laser cutter so absolute accuracy is guaranteed. Place on top of exposed paper then lift the blades, open the lens to max, remove the neg and expose for the number of secs required from a trial for max black.

A white keyline around the print with a black border is more difficult. You could have a black mask made at say 1 or 2mm bigger than the print size but you'd need some kind of centering device that ensured the keyline was equidistant all the way round.

I suppose the slightly bigger mask cut out by laser from a bigger black piece of plastic which was the same size as the paper overall would ensure the bigger piece laid to the edges of the paper would centre the inner mask and then the outer mask is removed and the black border is made.

Just a thought. These days access to plastic laser cutters isn't that difficult. A machine shop could probably be commissioned to do it at reasonable cost.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies