Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th June 2011, 09:13 PM
Friend

I've just picked up a mint- Fuji GA645zi.
Should arrive before the weekend. Can't wait to give it a test run!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th June 2011, 09:47 PM
Friend

Good choice, i've been playing with 645 this year, and picked up a GA645 after having played with a friends a while back. My one is very good, but it does underexpose in direct sunlight. I guess it's an average meter so this is maybe not at all surprising, but something to watch out for for both of the days in the year when the sun is out ;-)

Cesare

BTW, my friend also has the fuji 6*7 folder, and it really is very very nice. I know i'll end up with one at some point. Kind of inevitable really...
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I thought I'd give a bit of an update on this. Thanks for all the kind advice by the way.

I was still undecided what to get but I recently dropped on a GS655S for cheap so gave it a go. Put a roll of provia through it yesterday to test it out. Rangefinder is a touch out of wack and the bullbar round the lens is a bit wobbly but if the test roll shows the glass is ok then shouldn't be too bad to fix.

Despite being bulkier than the folding version it feels lighter, and the side tripod thread is a nice touch. The rangefinder spot seems quite critical about your eye being centered on the finder (for it to be visible), compared to how I remember the folding model. Anyone know if this is normal?
Me and my big mouth.... just tried to load test roll #2 and the film counter seems to have given up the ghost...so much for the cheap camera
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Me and my big mouth.... just tried to load test roll #2 and the film counter seems to have given up the ghost...so much for the cheap camera
That's bad news , it sounds like sending it off for a service quote may be a good idea. If it's any consolation most of us have a cupboard full of bargains.
Old 11th August 2011, 08:59 PM
Friend

Well I finally got the GS645S back from service, all seems to be working.

So, I'm now after a nice low profile form-fitting camera bag for it, as minimal as possible but offering a bit more protection than the original brown suede case (fetching though it is). Just needs to take the camera and maybe a couple of rolls of film and a filter or two. Ideally with its own strap. What is everyone else using for their MR rangefinders?
Old 12th August 2011, 06:55 PM
Friend

Lowepro will have something in their range to cater for your camera.
paddy
Old 21st August 2011, 07:15 PM
Friend

A bit late with my "two penneth", but if light and portable is the criteria, don't get anything with interchangeable lenses!

When I got my Zorki 4 (OK, it's a 35mm rangefinder, but the principle is the same) I thought I'll get an auxillary viewfinder, wide and long lenses and....hang on a minute!

I'd have been carting around an SLR outfit in all but name if I'd have gone down this route.

Being neither young nor fit, I find carrying a roll-film SLR plus lenses and backs around a chore (ditto TLR) so I've gone out and got an Isolette and an Ensign Selfix. Both are pocket folders and won't take accessories, other than filters.

Problem solved.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:31 AM
Friend

I think if you are spending most of your time chasing an ankle snapper(ah bless them)as I am with my grandson,there is only one answer for me its auto focus I own 35mm nikon af cameras,but my medium format mamiya rb67 and zenza bronica 645 are both mf . I brought an AE-111 meter head as it has eyepiece diopter correction adjustment which has helped the old mince pies but I think the way to go for me is af 645,it gives me two options, mamiya 645af or pentax 645af all I have to do is convince grandma (she looks to young to be a grandmother) that I need one.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies