Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2011, 10:49 AM
Friend

Default John Blakemore exhibition in The Lake District

John Blakemore has an exhibition at The Clocktower, Low Wood, Haverthwaite. The show runs from Sat 26th November until 21st December. Website link www.the-clocktower.co.uk

There are only 15 prints including three colour and two of his latest work. I've had the pleasure of framing the prints this past two days as well as the joy and fun of verbally jousting with the man himself.

Even though the show is small it's worth making the effort to see it as the work is quite beautiful.
Old 24th November 2011, 07:12 PM
Friend

Hi Les
Thanks for the info on John Blakemores exhibition, it is not possible for me to go although I would very much like to, but as a newbie to B & W film photography I had never heard of him until recent posts about a new book by him, so I thought I would investigate this man who seemed to stir such a response to his work, in doing so I realised why he is so highly esteemed and I bought his book "Black and White Photography Workshop" it is certainly opening my eyes and stretching my mind.
When you are trying to learn this art on your own by trial and error and reading so many varying views of how to achieve satisfying results, It is good to have examples of work that make you want to keep going in the hope that someday it may be possible to emulate a similar standard of work. I have to also say that belonging to this forum has also been the greatest help I have had.
Regards
Richard
Old 25th November 2011, 08:45 AM
Friend

Thanks for the info Les, I shall certainly try and get across there as it's not that far from here. I've always enjoyed Blakemore's work.

Verbal jousting? I can't believe you would do such a thing Les

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 25th November 2011, 10:56 AM
Friend

Even though I live near Newcastle I do not drive, so a trip to the Lakes to see the exhibition is not feasible. However, I am looking forward to a talk that he is giving in the local area in May and perhaps getting to see some of his work 'in the flesh'. I think he is a truly inspirational photographer in that he gets people to think about the why? of photography as well as the how? (if you get my meaning).
Les (Dix)
Old 25th November 2011, 07:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWarom View Post
Hi Les
When you are trying to learn this art on your own by trial and error and reading so many varying views of how to achieve satisfying results, It is good to have examples of work that make you want to keep going in the hope that someday it may be possible to emulate a similar standard of work.
Regards
Richard
Richard, there's another book worth reading as well. Creative B&W Photography it is called and written by someone called Les something.

PS Don't worry the vagueness is confined to me. The book is anything but vague.

Mike
Old 26th November 2011, 05:11 AM
Friend

Thanks Mike
I will have a look for that, I have read articles by the said Les something and have found them very helpful.
regards
Richard
Old 1st December 2011, 02:58 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I have just returned from visiting this exhibition. It is in an area of the building that has just been renovated and was lying empty so Tim Soar asked if he could use it. It is destined to become offices if the owner can find a tenant.
The exhibition itself is 54 prints 13 of which are by John Blakemore. They are from his tulip series and his windowsill series.

The other photographers are Paul Gallagher, Paul Hill, Robert Norbury, Andrew Sanderson (from paper negatives) and Tim Soar.

Also on view are the wet collodians from the Kirkstone series by Carl Radford. There are also books by the photographers to look through including Inscape and The Stilled Gaze.

You need to be aware that the gallery is not manned all the time however there is a number on the door to ring (if you can get a mobile signal) and the lady (Alison) who looks after the place lives about a 2 minute walk away. She is very friendly and helpful.

If you want to see original prints by top photographers I would recommend it although it is tucked a little out of the way. It is listed in the calendar with a link to their web site.

Bill
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies