Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2014, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I just re-read the posts on this thread and I note that one aspect of 35mm vs 120 was not mentioned. It is the size of each frame on a contact sheet. This, to me, is crucial. Of course, you could install an 8" x 10" enlarger, which makes glorious proof sheets from 35mm or 120.
Yes there was a long thread on just this issue elsewhere,Jon and you are right, 35mm contact sheets really need enlargement either by a loupe or just such an enlarger, whereas MF negs will stand up by themselves.

I suppose you might get away with a 2x enlargement of a 35m neg and use two 8x10 contact sheets using a specially built frame on the contact sheet with "doors" in each frame after each exposure but it's a lot of messing about to get a 2x enlarged contact negs or more accurately projected negs

Mike
Old 29th July 2014, 06:25 AM
Friend

Default Medium format cameras - the admission of a poseur

Before trying to earn a living from photography I took it up as a hobby, because it appeared to be an effective way of persuading my (female) schoolfriends to remove some clothes while they sat for me. The approach was enhanced by putting a 500W Photoflood and an umbrella on a clumsy theatrical stand. And I wore a Lunasix with its cord around my neck, just like the film director. Things really began to take off when I put a twin-lens reflex on a tripod.
But, much later, my old Bronica SQ took this a step too far. I could get my infant sitters to learn to laugh at the pop and spark from the studio flash but not the (notorious) racket from the shutter. I got one shot, after which the face crumpled.

Last edited by JOReynolds; 29th July 2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsingh View Post
Are medium format film cameras as easy to use as 35mm cameras?
Is the medium film more expensive than 35mm?
Is the medium film more expensive to produce than 35mm?
Are the medium format film cameras as convenient as 35mm cameras?
Do you have the same flexibility on medium cameras as you do with 35mm cameras? By that I mean lens focal length, shutter speed, aperture, extra flash etc.

Medium format seems to be the winner format for pretty much most things so I might just avoid getting a 35 camera and just go for the medium. Any replies would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Easiness depends on the camera design. You get used to what you use so it's nothing to worry about.

The cost of a roll of 120 film is similar to the cost of a cassette of 35mm BUT in most cases (real life) a lot of frames on each 35mm film gets wasted so 120 can work out less expensive. It depends on how you work...

Cost of production? Who knows? The sale price is the sale price and we can take it or leave it.

Convenience? A medium format folding camera is about the most convenient type of film camera there is. Consider the size (and potential quality) of the negative compared with the size and weight of a good quality medium format folding camera. Now consider the same thing for a good quality 35mm camera! The 35mm camera is massive compared to the size (and potential quality) of the negative it produces. 35mm cameras have had to be developed to very high levels of engineering to get to the close tolerances needed to get passable negatives. This makes them heavy, very heavy considering the size of negative. To match the quality possible with a modestly priced folding rangefinder medium format camera, a 35mm camera has to be made to these much higher standards of engineering and so cost a lot more.

Flexibility? There are medium format cameras that offer all the options of interchangeable lenses of different focal lengths, shutter speed range, aperture, flash and so on BUT they are usually expensive...

For your starting point have a look at folding cameras, preferably with rangefinders, that use 120 film. (AGFA Record III;
Zeiss Ikonta 524/2; Mockba-5 are still quite low cost 6x9 options. Mamiya-6 folding; Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 are similar 6x6 options.)

richard

Last edited by richardw; 29th July 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies