Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th July 2016, 05:30 PM
Friend

Default using a 1/4 plate glass darkslide ?

Picked up a 1/4 plate camera today. One of Houghtons creations, a klito with 9 darkslides. Course these are usually using glass plates and i know there is a way to use them with film but not seen any conversions . Anyone got any pics ?
Old 12th July 2016, 05:40 PM
Friend

you can sometimes find cut film sheaths which can be loaded with film and then these act as the plate would in the holder but can't recall ever seeing any in 1/4 plate size. it's just a light sheet metal with 3 edges folded over to hold the film.
Old 12th July 2016, 05:44 PM
Friend

These have a shallow spring loaded recess that the plate goes in. If i just put film into them the springs will push it against the darkslide and it will get scratched up (?) . Feel just a thin piece of say card with the film in front may work but want to see what others have done
Old 12th July 2016, 05:54 PM
Friend

I have a few Kodak Quarter plate film inserts, I picked up a box of NIB ones a couple of years ago. The Kodak ones are pressings and better than the plainsheet metal ones. They do appear on Ebay.

Unfortunately I sold my spares, I have quite a few Quarter plate cameras. With wood/brass quarter plate cameras it's possible to make a conversion plate and use a post WWII Graflex or similar 6x9 roll film back.

The metal cameras using Klito quarter plate holders holders will accept early (pre WWII) Rollex or Rada 6x9 roll film holders and there's plenty around usually relatively cheaply. You need to be careful as there's variations to the type of edge fit etc.

Ian
Old 12th July 2016, 06:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvclick View Post
Picked up a 1/4 plate camera today. One of Houghtons creations, a klito with 9 darkslides. Course these are usually using glass plates and i know there is a way to use them with film but not seen any conversions . Anyone got any pics ?
All sheet film sizes are nominal and a fraction smaller than the plate size, this was originally to allow for the use of film inserts in plate holders. It's not changed.

It's relatively easy to use film in wooden bookform plate holders with card, but not the metal film holders.

Ian
Old 12th July 2016, 10:17 PM
Friend

It probably depends on the quality of the film you intend using. By that, I mean how much it costs. I have used card behind cut film in the double sided wooden plate holders. They have a sort of metal insert that acts as a spring to push the plate forward. I just used a piece of thin corrugated card behind the film, and it worked quite well. My film was smaller, though, being 3.5x2.5". The film I was using was old, and I was really using it on an experimental basis. I may have been less inclined to experiment if it had been expensive new stock.
Alex.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
It probably depends on the quality of the film you intend using. By that, I mean how much it costs. I have used card behind cut film in the double sided wooden plate holders. They have a sort of metal insert that acts as a spring to push the plate forward. I just used a piece of thin corrugated card behind the film, and it worked quite well. My film was smaller, though, being 3.5x2.5". The film I was using was old, and I was really using it on an experimental basis. I may have been less inclined to experiment if it had been expensive new stock.
Alex.
Plates are held quite differently in wooden double darkslide book form holders as each edge sits against a wooden lip. So cardboard works reasonably well to hold film in place.

However in metal single plate holders the plate is only held in place at each end, the proper adapters hold the film on three sides. So unless the film is stuck to card it won't sit flat, you can read of eople using honey or simila to do this, personally I don't think it's worth the effort.

What's needed is "Cut film sheaths", there's some on Ebay but at far to high a price at the moment.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies