Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd February 2020, 10:52 AM
Friend

Default Multigrade Filters

Now I have got my simple B&W condenser enlarger up and running properly I am a little puzzled by the colour of one of the multigrade filters at the harder end of the scale. These are the ones that fit into the filter drawer, rather than the below the lens type.

The No.4 filter is a medium magenta colour. The No5 filter is also magenta but slightly darker. However the grade 4.5 filter is a quite pale amber shade. I have not made a mistake because the filter grades are printed on the filter itself.

It has not caused me any problems so far because I only print in the 1.5 to the 2-3 zones and only very, very occasionally do I ever go up to Gd4. It is the marked difference at the opposite end of the spectrum makes me wonder. Has anyone any idea if this is correct or not.
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:20 PM
Print Exchange Manager

It sounds as if there is something wrong with your Gr. 4.5 filter. I have been looking at my above negative filters - could be up to 30 yrs old - I used in my old 35mm enlarger. The Gr. 4.5 has also gone very pale and is almost colourless.

I also have had a look at some spare large filters still in the Ilford box (age unknown but likely >10 yrs) and the Gr. 4 filter is certainly more orange than Gr.3.5 and the Gr4.5 filter slightly pinker than the Gr. 4 but not as pink as the Gr. 5. None are obviously paler.

These observations and yours have resulted in me doubting my own filters and more particularly their longevity.

The only absolutely certain way is to print a known negative at different 'grades'.

Mike
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:34 PM
Friend

See pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200202_123100.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	3603  
Old 2nd February 2020, 04:27 PM
Friend

Default Filters

Thank you for the thumbnail. the 4.5 is very definitely wrong. As I said the 4.5 grade is most unlikely to be used so I will check with a newer set to see what had happened.

I may even go to using below the lens because that way I can swap filters when I do split grade printing with no fear of disturbing the enlarger head.
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Now I have got my simple B&W condenser enlarger up and running properly I am a little puzzled by the colour of one of the multigrade filters at the harder end of the scale. These are the ones that fit into the filter drawer, rather than the below the lens type.
The below the lens filters aren't a different type. They are the same filters as you use above the lens, just cut to fit into the plastic holders.

Alan
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

I once held a filter up to the light in my darkroom and dropped it in my sink. The filter got wet and the colour just washed off. It may never happen but don't ever get your filters wet.
Old 2nd February 2020, 06:21 PM
Friend

Default Filter

I will go along with the fact the filter has faded but the fading has been 100% even. I would have thought that there may have been some vestiges of the original colour.

I have used below the lens filters before - years ago, perhaps the last century. They were on a superb Gamer enlarger that did not have a filter drawer. The Gamer was a copy of the Leitz 35mm Focomat with a helical focussing system - far more accurate and easier to use than the rack and pinion type. I wish I still had it! That had a 40" column and was as steady as a rock.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:45 PM
Friend

The Ilford Multigrade papers and hence filter colours have had a number of versions and older ones do not work properly with the more recent Multigrade IV and V papers. The best illustration on the web I have had time to find showing the smooth step change from 00 (pale orange) to 5 (strong magenta) is here https://static.bhphoto.com/images/im...1318_24675.jpg

For the history and when things changed see https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/I...ultigrade.html

Last edited by DavidMB; 2nd February 2020 at 09:47 PM. Reason: extra info
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies