Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th September 2009, 06:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
I know they can be sent through the post, I was just pointing out the enquiries I made seemed to suggest they wouldn't be covered by insurance if damaged, only if lost. Which was worrying for such an expensive item.
Though I would like to point out my enquiries were not exhaustive, so there could be an option that I didn't find. If anybody knows if they can be sent insured for damage please let me know I would be grateful to find out.

Neil
Any company supplying such an object must get them to you undamaged. That would be your contract with them. If you are buying from an individual then the same condition would apply, but you may have more of a struggle getting a refund.
Old 7th September 2009, 07:12 AM
Friend

Thanks for that Dave thats good to know, because I am worried about damage. I think the biggest problem if you sourced one on ebay is that a large percentage of sellers state they are not liable unless insurance is bought and you can't get insurance coverage on damage to post fragile objects.
If I can find one close enough to pick up and going for a reasonable price, I will try ebay if not I will use a dealer, if I can't find a dealer with a secondhand
one I will have to wait till I save for a new one.

Neil
Old 7th September 2009, 07:28 AM
Friend

Nova, Mr Cad and SDS (there are probably others ) all do S/H darkroom items. I have purchased large Nova slotty items from each of the three memtioned and they all arrived very well packed and with no damge at all. I would not concern yourself over the transit side of things if buying from a reputable dealer. Buying from Ebay privately is another matter - I don't think I would risk that unless I could pick it up.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 7th September 2009, 07:46 AM
Friend

Second-hand Darkroom Supplies also do their own Nova looky-likey, called the Pro-wash. Prices start at £229 for 16x12, which I think compares well to prices of the Nova. I got the impression that, unlike Silverprint, they will post them out, but you'd need to check that.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:11 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Thanks for that Dave thats good to know, because I am worried about damage. I think the biggest problem if you sourced one on ebay is that a large percentage of sellers state they are not liable unless insurance is bought and you can't get insurance coverage on damage to post fragile objects.
If I can find one close enough to pick up and going for a reasonable price, I will try ebay if not I will use a dealer, if I can't find a dealer with a secondhand
one I will have to wait till I save for a new one.

Neil
I note that a number of people try and avoid their contractual obligation by putting such terms into their sale conditions. If I wish to bid on such an item I email the seller first and ask if they will confirm that they will pack the good correctly to avoid damage in transit so that I can consider bidding. Some confirm, some don't, but at least I know where I stand.
Old 7th September 2009, 02:44 PM
Friend

Thanks for all of the replies. I can not order from Silverprint, because they offer theirs for pick up only.
The PRO-WASH 12x16 from SDS looks good and has 8 slots. I don`t know if it`s built as well as the Nova washers.

http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/...?p=2&cat=16427
Old 7th September 2009, 03:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I can not order from Silverprint, because they offer theirs for pick up only.
The PRO-WASH 12x16 from SDS looks good and has 8 slots. I don`t know if it`s built as well as the Nova washers.

http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/...?p=2&cat=16427
Why not ask them, I'm sure that you will get an honest answer.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Why not ask them, I'm sure that you will get an honest answer.
I did as you suggested and this is the reply.

Hi Keith

We do ship washers but at the customers own risk. If they are broken in transit there is no come back.

With 12x16 washers its fine. With the bigger ones the box is bigger so the risk of dropping it is greater.

I would recommend you picked it up.

Kind regards

Paul Petterson

I can understand why, but Oxford is quite a hike from Plymouth.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:15 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I did as you suggested and this is the reply.

Hi Keith

We do ship washers but at the customers own risk. If they are broken in transit there is no come back.

With 12x16 washers its fine. With the bigger ones the box is bigger so the risk of dropping it is greater.

I would recommend you picked it up.

Kind regards

Paul Petterson

I can understand why, but Oxford is quite a hike from Plymouth.
Looks like a sale lost, shame!
Old 8th September 2009, 10:26 AM
Friend

Keith, Dave et al,

Nova Darkroom shipped my 20x24 print washer crated up.

Tom
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies