Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th September 2009, 07:25 AM
Friend

Default Bad day at the wet bench

There aren't many days when I have a bad day in the darkroom. But yesterday was a real pig!!!

Having the devils own job to get the print quality from a few 8x10 contact prints. Thought it was my new contact printing light setup. After flapping around changing lamps returning to my old printing light box, I discovered it was the negatives that were at fault - slight uneven development in the centre of the negative resulting in a small dark area in the print. I'm returning to manual agitation of Paterson's Orbital and not use the motorised base

So as a result of all this I only managed to get decent prints from 2 negatives. Well at least I now know the light set up is not the fault. I double checked it with my Pentax digital spotmeter and it is perfectly even.

To cap it all I missed my delivery from Silverprint
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 10th September 2009, 07:34 AM
Friend

In the spirit of consolation I can confide that on Saturday I developed a 120 roll in fixer. Not a lot of dark areas anywhere on that roll.
Old 10th September 2009, 07:44 AM
Friend

Many commiserations Trevor, I am sure this is just a blip and next time to will be back to your usual form. Damn annoying all the same though when these things happen.
Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th September 2009, 08:03 AM
Friend

Sounds like my kind of day, I deved a film and had the wrong dilution of fixer (way to weak) and was wondering why the film kept getting darker.

Time for a brew and choccy biscuit for days like that.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
In the spirit of consolation I can confide that on Saturday I developed a 120 roll in fixer. Not a lot of dark areas anywhere on that roll.
Been there, done that. Very easy to print though.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
There aren't many days when I have a bad day in the darkroom. But yesterday was a real pig!!!

Having the devils own job to get the print quality from a few 8x10 contact prints. Thought it was my new contact printing light setup. After flapping around changing lamps returning to my old printing light box, I discovered it was the negatives that were at fault - slight uneven development in the centre of the negative resulting in a small dark area in the print. I'm returning to manual agitation of Paterson's Orbital and not use the motorised base

So as a result of all this I only managed to get decent prints from 2 negatives. Well at least I now know the light set up is not the fault. I double checked it with my Pentax digital spotmeter and it is perfectly even.

To cap it all I missed my delivery from Silverprint
Your are right about the motor base on the Paterson, I too came to the conclusion that manual tilting and swirling results in more even development.

Today will be a much better day.
Old 10th September 2009, 09:00 AM
Friend

Though its not very good for whoever it happens to, it is somewhat reassuring that things like this don't just happen to us in isolation, and they happen to the most experienced and gifted people also.
I remember when I had problems in the past before the days of the internet, it could sometimes take days before you worked out what's gone wrong, now if your stumped you can come to somewhere like FADU and get the experience and help your looking for in a very short time.

Neil
Old 10th September 2009, 09:06 AM
Friend

Sorry to hear about your woes Trevor, I eventually gave my motorised base away, just couldn't get an even development with it.

Arena Photographers
Old 10th September 2009, 09:46 AM
Friend

I am now glad I haven't got a motorised base!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th September 2009, 09:48 AM
Friend

Some days in the darkroom can be blissful (did I say days!!! I'm lucky to snatch an odd hour here and there) and productive others very depressing when it seems nothing is going right.
Glad it's not just me

Andrew
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies