Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd January 2010, 08:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheer View Post
I've been lucky enough to be awarded with a grant from ' The Robert Pilgrim Photographic Trust' to purchase a medium format camera. I would be grateful for any advice in helping me choose. So far I have been thinking about Mamiya C220 or a Mamiya RB67. what do others think? Thanks
As others have said, you should carefully consider the use to which you will use the camera; you say it is mainly for location work which suggests a requirement for portability.

I have owned both the Mamiya cameras to which you refer, The RB67, whilst a wonderful system camera, is heavy, so I would discount it. The C220 is lighter, but does not have an interchangeable film back, so I would discount that too.

I am now using a Bronica SQ 6x6 camera, and it is this model that I would recommend you consider as it has the attributes of the Mamiya models without the weight of the RB67, but with the addition of the interchangeable back feature missing from the C220.
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
I am perfectly happy hand holding my RB67 whereas Sandeha suggests it should only be used on a tripod - neither of us is wrong, just different.Steve.
A matter of scale, possibly. I have a friend who carries an RB67 and he waves it around like a bread roll.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeha Lynch View Post
A matter of scale, possibly. I have a friend who carries an RB67 and he waves it around like a bread roll.
I think it is a matter satisfaction. I'm very happy with my RZ67 and use it handhold most of the times, but also on top of a tripod. It comes with me everywhere, either in a backpack or hanging from the shoulder.

And I'm not specially strong: 1,75 m tall and 70 kg.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:32 AM
Friend

The Bronica SQ/B is relatively inexpensive, utterly reliable and part of an excellent system - I used to sell M/F of all sorts but the Bronnie was always my personal favourite.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:29 PM
Friend

Thanks all. My grant is for £500, and is for camera and film. I've recently been looking at derelict buildings and would be using the camera for that subject. Studio work would be limited to still life. Newbury used to have a camera fair, but that has stopped, so I'm going to go to London to look round a few shops. Would like to actually hold a camera, instead of buying it off the net.
I found out about The Robert Pilgrim Trust just by chance. They have a website www.robertpilgrimtrust.org.uk
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:50 PM
Friend

Hold one, play with it. then get a different one, and do the same. If YOU are going to use it, it must suit you. For me, start with the end result, and work backwards. I needed the ability to use different films (fast, slow) different lenses, hand hold the thing, and I wanted an SLR with a metering prism. That's me, and you might (will?) be different. Just don't choose something that will limit you 'cos it wont do want you may reasonably want it to do. I chose the SQA 'cos it did want I wanted it to do, and it hasn't ever presented me with a problem with MY style of playing.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:52 PM
Friend

You mention still life in the studio, so I would discount a C220. To use it for still life you would need a paramender, I have a C330 and a paramender it's good but if I were in your position I would buy a single lens medium format certainly not a twin lens and make life easier.

Neil
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:40 PM
Friend

If you can't find anybody(bodies) who has the kind of MF camera for a try and there isn't a MF dealer near you then I think that Ffordes will exchange without hassle as will Mifsud's in Brixham, Devon in case what you get isn't right once you handle it.

Anyone know of any dealers within striking distance of Newbury?

Secondhand Darkroom Supplies in Witney have some MF cameras. Might be worth a look, depending on distance and transport.

If the ability to change backs isn't an issue i.e you are unlikely to want to change from B&W to colour neg part way through a film or need to change to a higher speed film then the Pentax 645 or even the 67 might be worth a look. £500 would easily cover a manual focus plus standard lens and should stretch to a second lens. It might even stretch to the 645N which is the autofocus version. The P645 is relatively light with a good range of lenses and will produce pretty big prints with a resolution that 35mm won't match.

Unless you have a deadline by which time you must spend the grant or lose it then adopt a take your time approach .

Mike
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:08 AM
Friend

on a 6x6 camera an 80mm lens is considered "normal" roughly equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera. An 80mm lens should be OK for still life.
But for architectural it depends. If you are doing interiors then a wider /shorter focal length will be useful. A 50mm or even shorter such as 35mm. For external architectural it depends on how far you can get from building/subject. An 80mm may do for some shots and for some it will be too long. If you want to keep building verticals vertical, then you either have to keep film plane vertical and move your height to frame or get a shift lens (expensive)

Typically for portraits on 6x6 btween 120 and 180 is good, particularly for head and shoulders shots. These focal lengths may also be good for still life shots. For full length portraits then an 80mm is OK.
For still life you can use from wide to short tele so 35 to 200. For close up stll life you may need a macro lens so around a 120mm macro would good.

I would say you could probably do with an 80mm and a 35mm to 50mm lens to start with. You can add more later. But what ever you do, look at prices and availability of lenses for the camera body you are buying. It would be pointless to buy a cheap body only to find the lenses you want aren't available or you can't afford them.

£500 is absolute minimum for a basic setup with one lens unless you get very lucky.
Also if camera has exchangeable backs, make sure it comes with the format you want such as 6x6 or 6x4.5 and that the RFH (RFH = Roll film holder back) is operating properly and darkslide isn't bent.

An SLR is most likely your best option so Mamiya, Hasselblad or Bronica. I expect there are others but those 3 brands have loads of bits and lenses readily available.

Last edited by Argentum; 23rd January 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:08 AM
Friend

CHeck the light seals on the RFH also. They don't last for ever.
From my personal experience, the RB67 is a wonderful machine, and the weight isn't too serious a problem.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies