Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2010, 11:44 AM
Friend

Personally I have a Minolta Spotmeter F. People rave about the pentax meter but IMO that is purely due to fashion on web forums. They both will give accurate readings so on that front one is not better than the other. Where the minolta is better is that it does flash metering which I have found to be extremly useful from time to time. And also, for zone system work it allows you to take one shadow reading followed by pressing one key(A) and then subsequently pressing and holding the metering key you can scan the subject and it gives you a readout through the eyepiece of the brightness range difference from the original reading. So from initial shadow reading you can very easily scan the subject to find the brightest point and instantly know what zone it falls on without resorting to scales or pressing other function keys. It is also smaller than pentax or gossen meters.
It should come with its soft case, lens cap and strap for hanging round your neck.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:11 PM
Friend

You can always use the spot metering function of your F100. With a short tele lens 85 to 135 you should get a small enough metering area for zone system work.
Old 25th February 2010, 01:09 PM
Friend

I would have to agree with Percepts on this one
Quote:
They both will give accurate readings so on that front one is not better than the other
If they are both giving accurate readings then they are as useful as each other.

If I were buying now I would probably go for the Minolta and use the money elsewhere. I got my Pentax Digital at a very good price many years ago, and was then burgled a few years latter and had a new one as replacement by my insurer.

Neil
Old 25th February 2010, 01:36 PM
Friend

Thankyou, you have all been most helpfull its been intresting to see what you guys use, as for me i shall be sitting on it for the next few weeks while i save some cash and have a read up on all your sugestions
Regards Tony
Old 25th February 2010, 07:12 PM
Administrator

With 35mm I just use the built-in meter, adjusting as lighting conditions dictate. For MF and LF I use a Sekonic L-558 spotmeter which also handles flash and incident readings. Very nice but expensive when new and fairly rare s/h although this and earlier models do pop up from time to time.
Old 26th February 2010, 04:23 PM
Friend

Well I have a Minolta Spot Meter F, a Minolta Flashmeter IV and a couple of Weston Masters (which I must send off and get calibrated)

The Minoltas are great, easy to use and I find very accurate plus they can also store a couple of reading and average the reading out which I find usefull.

However if budjet it tight the the Sekonic L308? is a great little meter for reflective, incident & flash metering and can proable be had for less than £100 used. Yep used to have one of these as well :-)
Old 18th March 2010, 11:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
And if you get one which does not seem accurate, Megatron can replace the cell and/or calibrate it for you.

Steve.
I had my Weston Euromaster re-celled and calibrated by Megaton in Feb 2009.

Cost me about £65 inc VAT and P&P

I had forgotten what a lovely simple thing they are to use in incident mode

I now use the Euromaster as my main meter and just check the SBR with the Pentax Spotmeter if I am unsure or need to double check

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies