Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th June 2010, 06:06 PM
Friend

Default Is a Bronica RF645 a good choice?

I usually work with Nikon cameras and print B&W no bigger than 12 x 16. I also have a Mamiya 645. I got it two years ago, and my original idea was to carry both systems simultaneously. However, I do not use the Mamiya frequently because it is too big to carry it with my Nikon system.
Now, I could have the opportunity to get a Bronica RF645, with a 60 mm lens. My idea is to continue working with one Nikon camera and to have a medium format camera available in my shoulder bag.
I have three questions: Is a Bronica RF645 with a 60 mm lens a good choice? Is it as good as a Mamiya 6? How much should I pay?
Thanks to everybody,
Henry.
Old 27th June 2010, 07:03 PM
Friend

It probably is a good choice as it is a R/F and is portable which is what you are looking for. The problem is though it always shoots in the vertical format so if you want to shoot in landscape format you need to turn the camera upright. I think Rob here has had some experience with the Bronica 645 RF and may well advise further on the optical qualities etc which I would expect to be very good. The Mamiya 6 is a legendary 6x6 R/F and of course as such you don't have to turn the camera over to shoot landscape format. Interestingly the Mamiya 7 (which I use) doesn't do this - landscape is the right way up and so is vertical. As to the price to pay that is a case of looking up the dealers and elsewhere to see what they are going for and making a decision on what you are prepared to pay.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 27th June 2010, 07:13 PM
Friend

Although I've never owned a RF645 (I use a Bronica ETRSi) I have borrowed one on occasion and it really is a great camera if you don't mind the 'portrait' format. It also has alimited range of lenses, although like you I could live with just the 60mm. Another camera worth considering is the Fuji GS645s, which has a fixed 60mm lens. I'm currently thinking of buying one of these (quite a bit cheaper than the Bronica)

Rob
Old 27th June 2010, 07:52 PM
Friend

hello,i've just sold my RF645 after buying it new about 4-5yrs ago.it a beautiful camera in every way,quality of the lens is top class.The reason i sold mine was i never took the liking to 645 format.i allways use to ask myself 'should this shot be landscape or portrait',and by the time i had made my mind up the shot had gone!!
This is one of the big reason i like my Hasselblad,6x6,the shot is the same both ways,one less thing to worry abut when i'm out doing some photography.The less 'things' you got to worry about the more time you can give to your photos.
Another reason was the lack of, or the hard to find lenses to fit the RF.
If you can over come these issue's it a cracking little camera.
Hwyl am y tro!
Old 27th June 2010, 08:20 PM
Friend

If you like the 645 format then the rf645 is a great camera ,but if you are happy with the one lens then there are cheaper options that are just as good, such as the Fuji 645 cameras, which includes the (I think) fuji 645 z1 which is autofocas and a short zoom,which is worth checking out,Richard
Old 28th June 2010, 09:19 AM
Friend

I want to thank for all the answers. I am not still sure what I will do, but I hope to get one medium format rangefinder soon.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:41 AM
Friend

I have a Bronica 645 and I find it a great camera. I don't find the vertical format a problem, for horizontal work just tip it 90degs. just like any 35mm camera. I tend to use it when I don't want to carry too much gear and I take a monopod. The only disadvantage is the limited range of lenses, 45mm, 65mm (standard), and 100mm. The quality is as good as you would get anywhere else. The handling, controls and ease of use is excellent. Just need to check if it is calibrated for the 135mm lens if you want to get this longer lens. There were problems with the 135mm lens and not many were made before they changed to the 100mm version. If the camera serial no. begins with 0 then the viewfinder is calibrated to the 135mm lens, if the serial number begins with a 1 then it's calibrated to the 100mm lens.

Tony
Old 28th June 2010, 11:19 AM
Friend

I have only used a 645 once in the studio and was very impressed with the results. I now have an SQAi square format which put a stop to the this way or that with the framing.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies