Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th November 2010, 04:55 PM
Friend

Default In Praise of the Magna Sight

Just spent an hour in the darkroom making a work print of a fishing boat on the beach at Aldeburgh in Suffolk. I photographed it last week whilst on a business trip to Sizewell Power Station.
I was reminded just how wonderful a device is the Bestwell "Magna Sight" focus finder, Barry Thornton recommended it in one of his books and a friend brought one back from B&H in New York. Edge to edge viewing and very bright. It was a fraction of the cost of a Peak finder.

Anyone else use one of these or indeed thoughts on others?
I also use a Nova Hocus Focus which is outstanding.
Old 27th November 2010, 05:28 PM
Friend

No experience of it, Andrew but I think it is Ralph Lambrecht that also rates it highly. I must admit in other forums where focus finders have been discussed it hasn't been clear to me why the Magna Sight is better than the Paterson or as good as the Peak.

Well at least I have a bit more knowledge as I hadn't realised that it covered corner to corner. Certainly the Paterson falls way short in that respect.

I vaguely recall mention of a focus finder that I think Robert White stocked( well somebody stocked) that was cheaper than the Peak but said to be as good. Can't recall its name now

I'd be interested in a point by point comparison of the Magna Sight with both the Paterson and Peak

I keep on getting tempted by the Peak and watch any on e-bay until the bidding goes stratospheric. Then I start to ask myself is that a nice to have because it is the best as opposed to need to have because it does so much more than my Paterson.

Mike
Old 27th November 2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I have a Magna Site which unfortunately was damaged during my recent move

Barry Thornton placed a close up lens on his so he did not have to stoop down to focus.
Old 28th November 2010, 06:16 AM
Friend

I also love the magna sight, a really old model with less magnification than newer ones, and a slightly worn mirror. I have or have had a few focusing aids, like Paterson, kaiser, peak... All work well but this one saves me some back bending and it's easier to use then the rest to me
Old 28th November 2010, 06:51 AM
Friend

Is someone able to post a picture of this beast, or at least a link to where we may view one?
Old 28th November 2010, 06:53 AM
Friend

product page:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/magnasight.shtml
Old 28th November 2010, 07:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muihlinn View Post
Thank you.
Old 28th November 2010, 10:05 AM
Friend

I'm a bit confused because I have one and find it completely unuseable. It seems to magnify the image but never bring in the grain - so I was going to junk it but haven't gotten around to it.

Hmmm. It must be that there is something wrong with mine and I'm going to have a look into it (pun? )
Old 28th November 2010, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post
I'm a bit confused because I have one and find it completely unuseable. It seems to magnify the image but never bring in the grain - so I was going to junk it but haven't gotten around to it.

Hmmm. It must be that there is something wrong with mine and I'm going to have a look into it (pun? )
Most of these aids have a fixed magnification of about 10x. This means that when focusing a large enlargement, say a 16x12, the grain is going to be more apparent than if you are working on an en-print of say 6x4. Other factors such as film type, size and development also play a big part in grain visibility. So it may be easier to see the grain on a 35mm HP5 negative developed in Rodinal rather than a 5x4 panF negative developed in Prescysol.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelDerka View Post

It depends on the negative, magnification factor, and the magnasight magnification... I usually focus standing up and recheck the focus looking close to it, if i'm in doubt... 99% does not need any correction, and I'm always looking up for sharpness in my prints.

anyhow, before trashing it, send it to me, it will find a good home
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies