Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th November 2010, 05:56 PM
Friend

Question 4x5 Sheet-Film Holders For Paterson Tanks.

Has anyone actually one of tried these yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ
Old 29th November 2010, 08:25 AM
Friend

Keith,

These look very interesting. Several people on the Large Format website say they have ordered them so there should be some reviews soon.
Old 29th November 2010, 08:34 AM
Friend

The only issue I can see is the amount of fluids required, I suspect a JOBO equivalent will be more economical to operate in that respect, but I do admire the design.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:09 AM
Friend

I've been using a Combi and it's a slog to be honest, I never feel it's going to work out correct. This does appeal so I'm ordering one - it is Christmas after all!!

Tony
Old 29th November 2010, 12:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
I've been using a Combi and it's a slog to be honest, I never feel it's going to work out correct. This does appeal so I'm ordering one - it is Christmas after all!!
Good for you, don't forget to file a full test report here before the year end.
Old 29th November 2010, 02:06 PM
Friend

Or even before Christmas !
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:26 PM
Friend

Default Full test report as requested.....

MOD PHOTOGRAPHIC - 5x4" Processor For Paterson 3 Reel Tank

I bought one of these on the 28th November and it arrived this morning well packaged in bubble wrap and a cardboard tube.
I dry loaded the MOD plate with 6 sheets of HP5 to practise and it seemed easy enough - I'd checked out the YouTube video above!

I loaded my exposed sheet film in my Calumet changing tent where there isn't a lot of room. I had the Paterson tank, the spindle, top, lid and 6 dark slides and managed to load the 6 sheets into the MOD plate with no bother at all. Once you get a feel for the uniform gap between each sheet it's easy enough to run your fingers gently over the edge to check all are in the correct slot. It took me less than 7 minutes to load - not bad for the first time.

I usually agitate to Ilford's recommendation and using HC110 means a 5 minute development time thus 6 inversions.
I processed as normal and I didn't do a pre-wash as I wanted to see if I could obtain even development without.

I used 950ml of chemicals which I thought was enough to cover the sheets but I've seen recommendations for using 1000ml.

In use the one disconcerting thing was the MOD plate slides easily along the centre spindle of the Paterson tank. Each time I inverted the tank I could hear it slide top to bottom and back. It didn't affect the performance but next time I'll attach a rubber band around the top of the column to stop it happening.
(I emailed Morgan O'Donovan the guy who sells/designs the MOD plate and he wasn't too concerned. He said the spindle does vary in width so he had to make the MOD plate loose - he recommended using the spindle turner instead of inversions)

I finished processing the film and opened the lid before washing - the film sheets were all still in their correct slots and hadn't moved.
As far as I can see from the negatives there was even development and no marks of any kind.

Inevitably there will be comparisons with the HP Combi tank. The Combi works for some folks and for others it doesn't - there is plenty of evidence of this around the forums. But for me, the Paterson tank is a familiar 'tool' and it makes sense to use what one feels comfortable with. In my opinion the Paterson tank fills and empties more efficiently than the Combi - I never got on with the small funnels and the turning of the air-valves/taps on the Combi.
Cost-wise there probably isn't a lot between the two. The MOD plate was £40.85 inc.delivery. Add to that the cost of the Paterson 3 reel tank (although these are probably going quite reasonably on eBay) and it compares with the Combi I would think.

I've never tried a JOBO but hear they are more efficient on chemicals. I haven't the room and probably don't do the volume of film to warrant the investment so the MOD plate is a good compromise for me.

This solution may not be right for everyone but for me it worked a treat.

Tony
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:50 PM
Friend

Thanks for a comprehensive report Tony. I have one comment though and that's that I doubt that the Paterson "spindle turner" will work if the film holder is a lose fit on the Paterson spindle. I think your idea of a band is best. These Paterson tanks are supplied with a clip that goes over the centre column to stop the normal reels sliding up and down, so one of those would be best, but they generally get lost, so rarely come with a second-hand unit.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:25 PM
Friend

I have just posted about these on another thread.
Yes, use the Paterson clip or a rubber band if you don’t have the clip.
I don’t invert the tank, when agitating it I slowly turn it 90 degrees so its laying down then back up again, it works fine.
Jobo tanks only use less chemicals because they are continuous agitation, which I have never liked. I always use longer development times and I want the film to keep still to allow the full tonal range to be developed. The MOD rack maybe a bit fragile but it is the best option I have found so far for small quantities of film.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDave View Post
I have just posted about these on another thread.
Yes, use the Paterson clip or a rubber band if you don’t have the clip.
I don’t invert the tank, when agitating it I slowly turn it 90 degrees so its laying down then back up again, it works fine.
Jobo tanks only use less chemicals because they are continuous agitation, which I have never liked. I always use longer development times and I want the film to keep still to allow the full tonal range to be developed. The MOD rack maybe a bit fragile but it is the best option I have found so far for small quantities of film.
Dave, did you get it direct from him? They used to be on Ebay but not seen any for a while. Wouldn't mind giving it a go.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies