Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2010, 08:03 PM
Friend

Default Printing Times

When I print at 10” X 8” most of my prints are about 6 seconds at two stops down. Although I use other times I don’t like using odd numbers. Is this weird or do others people have strange preferences like this?
Old 29th November 2010, 08:35 PM
Friend

Odd numbers as opposed to even? So f4, 8 or 16 is OK but not 5.6 or 11? Or is it whole numbers that you prefer as opposed to fractions which rules out only f5.6?

Whatever you feel comfortable with is what counts provided that doesn't give major printing issues.

I think the maxim of two stops down and never deviate is probably not an unbreakable rule.

I am not aware of any strange preferences I have in the darkroom Probably a sure sign I am too far gone to recognise them :

Mike
Old 29th November 2010, 09:05 PM
Friend

No, not on apertures, just seconds.
Old 29th November 2010, 09:55 PM
Friend

Can't think of any odd habits,at least not in the darkroom,Richard
Old 29th November 2010, 10:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
No, not on apertures, just seconds.
Wow! No I never have had a preference for odd or even. When the correct exposure is in low numbers say 5 secs do you have to go for 4 or 6( poorer print) or do you grit your teeth and go for 5 for the sake of print looks.

Or do you combine your resistance to odd numbers by dialling in a much smaller aperture so say 5 secs(hell) at f8 becomes 10 secs( heaven) at f11

You do realise that on Harley Street this kind of analysis would cost you a fortune.

Mike
Old 30th November 2010, 12:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Wow! No I never have had a preference for odd or even. When the correct exposure is in low numbers say 5 secs do you have to go for 4 or 6( poorer print) or do you grit your teeth and go for 5 for the sake of print looks.

Or do you combine your resistance to odd numbers by dialling in a much smaller aperture so say 5 secs(hell) at f8 becomes 10 secs( heaven) at f11

You do realise that on Harley Street this kind of analysis would cost you a fortune.

Mike
No, below 10 seconds it's points of a second, but still even.
Old 30th November 2010, 04:52 PM
Friend

Avoid 4. It sounds like Death in Chinese. 8, on the other hand is very lucky as it sounds like Rich.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:45 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
Avoid 4. It sounds like Death in Chinese. 8, on the other hand is very lucky as it sounds like Rich.
Is there a number that sounds like "correctly exposed" ?

Been heavily into digital for several years and just starting with the art of film and developing the film and prints myself. I am here to learn and to share with others.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:57 AM
Friend

I found this discussion interesting regarding the short(?) printing times. When I was printing at college, I found I had relatively short printing times (in the order mentioned here), while others seem to have longer times. Also because of the times were short, I had great trouble in dodging and burning. To a certain extent I'm happy to acknowledge that some of the negatives i was trying to print were less than adeqquate perhaps, being very thin. And, I accept the argument that a correctly exposed negative will need little d&b. but IF printing times are so short, how are d&b best managed? Is it just expertise?
Old 17th December 2010, 11:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes View Post
I found this discussion interesting regarding the short(?) printing times. When I was printing at college, I found I had relatively short printing times (in the order mentioned here), while others seem to have longer times. Also because of the times were short, I had great trouble in dodging and burning. To a certain extent I'm happy to acknowledge that some of the negatives i was trying to print were less than adeqquate perhaps, being very thin. And, I accept the argument that a correctly exposed negative will need little d&b. but IF printing times are so short, how are d&b best managed? Is it just expertise?
Either stop your enlarger lens down to increase printing time, and/or breakup the exposure time into separate segments, with each representing one dodge or burn job.

Practice helps too.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies