Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2011, 09:15 PM
Friend

Default Memorable Exhibition

What’s the most memorable photographic exhibition you have ever seen? For me it was a Weegee exhibition in Oxford. I think the prints were just put up with drawing pins, but the images were so emotive.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:16 PM
Friend

Probably the Bill Brandt exhibition in Aberystwyth tied with the Phillip Jones Griffith one in Cardiff.
On a slightly different note without straying too much off topic the best print I seen and actually held was an Angus McBean print in the old Photographers Gallery one of his Audrey Hepburn series.

Neil
Old 28th January 2011, 10:47 PM
Friend

Without a shadow of a doubt, for me, it has to be the 'Land' exhibition, 1976 at the V&A, London. It featured all the greats, Ansel Adam, Edward and Brett Weston, Minor White, Wynn Bullock, Bill Brandt, Raymond Moore, Paul Caponigro, the list just goes on and on. It was life changing for me, I realised how beautiful a black and white print could be. I've been in pursuit of that quality ever since, although I've moved away from, shall we say, the more 'traditional' landscapes in my own photography, I still marvel at a well executed one.

This is closely followed by the recent Edward Weston exhibition at the Edinburgh City Arts Centre.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 29th January 2011, 08:19 AM
Friend

I guess for me it has to be seeing one of Ansel Adams original exhibitions in Monterey, CA. The quality you see on an original print is just mind blowing compared to any other medium. I literally stood there with my mouth wide open and tears in my eyes.

As Trevor mentions, it was life changing in that I now know what I should be aiming for in my own photography.

A close second would need to be John sexton's exhibition where he showed me round explaining his thoughts on each shot.

Jeez, i have so far to go !

Mike
Old 29th January 2011, 09:40 AM
Friend

Default Best exhibition

I agree with Trevor - the Land exhibition at the V&A was truly mind-blowing. Whilst I am many miles away from landscape photography these days it is still an inspiration. On a similar subject, Lee Friedlander's first monograph, the Park City book by Lewis Baltz and the Black Sun exhibition of Japanese photography at the V&A were all siminal points for me.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 29th January 2011, 09:54 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

For me it was the George Tice exhibition in Bradford which lead to his book Stone Walls and Grey Skies. Superb quality prints.

Bill
Old 29th January 2011, 07:54 PM
Friend

The Sebastiao Salgado exhibition at Bradford called "The Workers". The images were done with so much sympathetic feeling & the quality from 35mm was incredible.
Old 30th January 2011, 04:35 PM
Friend

Even before I read Trevor's choice I'd said to myself 'Land' in 1976. It was undoubtedly life-changing for me also, as it was the first time I had actually seen work by many of the photographers. It opened my eyes to the power of good landscape photography and the qualities of a fine print - and it introduced me to the work of Raymond Moore.

So my second most memorable was indeed the Raymond Moore retrospective at the Hayward Gallery in 1981, followed closely by the show of Edward Weston original prints at MOMA in Oxford sometime during the late 1970s.

Strange that I don't seem to regard any more recent exhibitions as 'memorable', although there have been some really excellent ones. I guess because those earlier choices were rare at the time, and formative, whereas nowadays I am reasonably familiar with much of the work being shown.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies