Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2011, 11:29 AM
Friend

Default Black borders

I was thinking of getting myself an oversized mask to be able to print my 35mm negatives with black borders.

I wonder what's your view on black borders regarding aesthetics? Do black borders contribute anything to the final print?

Or, as I read somewhere, filling negative carriers is something that one regrets sometime later, like getting a tattoo.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:01 PM
Friend

Filing a negative carrier out can produce a nice 'arty' effect and provides a signature to your work. It also signals that you have composed within the frame and that the image has not been selectively enlarged. I have a filed out negative carrier for my XPAN images which I occasionally use. However, I can't see myself doing this all the time.

If you do file out a carrier get hold off a spare one and don't try it with the only one you have! Also finish off the edges with a fine paper otherwise they will scratch you negs. Finally paint any white metal areas matt black.

I have used pen-line black boarders around my prints in the past but do not do so now. The Beard 4 blade easel (also others) has this facility.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th February 2011, 12:03 PM
Friend

Hi Miha

I had a go with black boarders and personally think it depends on the subject and if the final print is mounted or not. If no glass is used it can be quite effective for say a landscape.

My neg carriers are too valuable to mess with and prefer the following method.

Assuming 10x8 paper placed on my easel, image printed to 8x6, thus 1" inch white boarders all round.

Place an thick black card measuring 7&14/16" x 5&14/16" in one of the bottom diagional corner and switch on enlarger for a given time to create a thin black line then move the card to the opposite upper diagional corner and do the same, now you have a thin black line on your print complimented by you thicker white main boarder.

I've used this method with my photography students and it does work, but I myself don't use black lines and prefer just plain white borders with a suitable mount/frame. Black lines can help featureless white skies stand out if not burining-in to much extra.

Last edited by Larry; 11th February 2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: missing word.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:10 PM
Friend

Miha, my thoughts are it is very subjective, some will like it, others will not, and some will be even indifferent. It's akin to showing/not showing bush work on alternative processes. It is what you like that really matters, getting approval from others is perhaps a bonus, as it reassure's us if we are not too certain about something, but don't let that be your driving force

Altering a negative carrier should not cause regret as long as it's not the only one you possess.

I have printed the black film rebate and it does as Neil says, show that you have composed entirely within the frame without cropping. Personally I find the aesthetics work well on a series of related images rather than just a single image, but again this is a subjective and personal view.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 11th February 2011, 12:49 PM
Friend

Miha - what sort of enlarger do you have? Is there the option to use glass holders, in which case it is all very easy.
Personally I actually like black borders so long as they are thin. I dunno, they seem to set a print into a piece of paper - I don't mount or frame anything, just put them in archival sleeves, and the prints with the penlines look a lot better. Also as Trevor and Neil say, it shows that you've composed the whole frame (just look at all those wonderful HCB photographs . .) and the world can see what a great eye you have (at least that's what I like to think )
If you can't use glass carriers, I had success at college by making cardboard holders for the bottom and putting a piece of AN glass on top, or even just another plain card mask.
Phil
Old 11th February 2011, 12:51 PM
Friend

Thanks guys for your views.

I don't intend to alter my existing carrier, but get a new, oversized one. Luckily, Kaiser still offer them new: http://www.phototec.de/product_info.php?products_id=674

The other reason for black borders is that a have a bunch of 8x10 RC paper and a Jobo 8x10 borderless paper mask. I think I will give it a go.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:56 PM
Friend

I have, in the past, used black lines, I used the same method as Larry, prefering not to file my negative carriers, but I no longer use black lines,I far prefer the white borders these days,Richard
Old 11th February 2011, 01:30 PM
Friend

A further point about the filed-out carrier is each one is individual so it will carry your mark - especially if you DIY. Filing is not an exact process and although the edges will look straight to the eye when they are enlarged they will be different - not even and wavy Frame numbers and the manufactures marks may also be shown in whole or part. This is the charm of course and part of the attraction.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 11th February 2011, 02:14 PM
Friend

I like them and like them very much but I don't often like seeing the 35mm sprockets or lettering.
Old 11th February 2011, 02:15 PM
Friend

I used to shun black borders in the belief they acted as an artificial frame for a weak composition and made me lazy when printing as they were able to 'hold in' large expanses of highlight.

I no longer take this view though and having seen the improvement a black border can give to many already excellent compositions I use them regularly. There are also advantages for some printing effects such as lith where a strong black border in conjunction with a small processing tray can deliver attractive edge burning effects.

What finally swung it for me was seeing a documentary with someone printing Cartier Bresson's negs full frame with the rebate included - fantastic !

Steve
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies