Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th March 2011, 06:24 PM
Friend

Default On the edge of frame/time

Today it was a lovely spring day and so I decided to go for a walk for a few hours with my IIIg. I probably took about 15 shots, which in most cases included people forming elements within my compositions. It felt at times as though I was just on the edge of what I was trying to achieve within the frame/ time. As though it was just out of reach, almost as though it was merely playing with me. I am not complaining, as I enjoyed the walk and probably got one or two shots I may print, but do others sometimes get that sense of on the edge of getting just the shot they wanted? Perhaps by using the word wanted I’m answering my own question. Am I making sense?
Old 13th March 2011, 08:36 PM
Friend

I'm usually too late, especially with photographs of people.

The problem is, if I see a shot I find interesting then I've invariably missed the opportunity of getting it on film. Therefore most of my people photographs tend to show arrested action rather than the action itself which would probably be a far more interesting and dynamic moment.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th March 2011, 09:39 PM
Friend

Please note in my original post, it should read it.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:43 AM
Friend

G'day Clive

Where should I read "it"?

What's a IIIg? And does lugging it around make the walk more or less special?

Being on the edge of achieving something special is, for me, what makes want to go and do it again.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post

Being on the edge of achieving something special is, for me, what makes want to go and do it again.
I asked this very question myself this weekend - lugging an 8x10 camera around a woodland and then returning the next day with the same camera and a 5x7 reduction back. Could I have achieved the same results with a smaller camera? Perhaps, but not in the form of 'readable' contact prints which is what I was after and just the sheer joy of viewing the image on such a large screen. I felt I was really there amongst the trees and open clearings.

And yes, I too felt I was "on the edge of achieving something special". Which is why I went back the following day and all being well will return again real soon.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 14th March 2011, 08:51 PM
Friend

Wink

111g= Leica. The viewfinder is the give away.
Old 14th March 2011, 09:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
A Leica IIIg is arguably the best 35mm camera ever made and you don’t lug it around, as it is a tactile machine and a joy to use. For the past 30 years or so, my main camera has been a Leica M2, but a few years ago I thought I would try a IIIg and see if it lives up to its hype and expectation. The drawback is the fact that a IIIg is also a very collectable camera and collectors wouldn’t like me, as I buy cameras to use and not put in cupboards. I have always considered the M2 the best of the M series, having said that the IIIg is smaller and with enough practice (not yet acquired) probably as fast to use, if not to wind on. I suppose the ideal camera for me would be a IIIg with combined rangefinder/viewfinder window, lever wind and a diaphragm shutter (for as Richard points out it provides less vibration to use at slower speeds).
Old 15th March 2011, 05:11 AM
Friend

Oh, a Lika. Yep "the best" probably is arguable. So this is the best camera but you can't use it and you'd like to change it's basic design?

I still found haven't where to put "it" and now I don't know who Richard is.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Today it was a lovely spring day and so I decided to go for a walk for a few hours with my IIIg. I probably took about 15 shots, which in most cases included people forming elements within my compositions. It felt at times as though I was just on the edge of what I was trying to achieve within the frame/ time. As though it was just out of reach, almost as though it was merely playing with me. I am not complaining, as I enjoyed the walk and probably got one or two shots I may print, but do others sometimes get that sense of on the edge of getting just the shot they wanted? Perhaps by using the word wanted I’m answering my own question. Am I making sense?
I know this feeling well. Initially I was could become very frustrated by it, but I'm more comfortable about 'the juices flowing' - because that's what I consider it to be. It's like having only one foot in the grove. I now consider all such 'walks with a camera' simply research - thinking about any images I take later to pull what it was that I couldn't quite get at the time.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Oh, a Lika. Yep "the best" probably is arguable. So this is the best camera but you can't use it and you'd like to change it's basic design?

I still found haven't where to put "it" and now I don't know who Richard is.
Ray, I’m reading the manual, so I hope to figure out how to use it soon.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies