Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2011, 07:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do these cameras have red windows to measure the winding on?
They do have red windows, but, in the case of the Ensign, I've put felt around the aperture inside the camera, and put a flap of gaffer tape over the outside.

The Isolette has a sliding metal cover over the window, but what is a problem with it is that it can be accidentally opened when sliding it out of the case, as the release catch is pulled down when removing. (I know, I've done it!)
Old 25th August 2011, 02:16 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
The Vasker was a real ''Budget'' lens from Voightlander, the worst lens they made, and made and designed for black and white work only, My 1938 bessa 66 has the Vasker lens, and used very carefully it produces very interesting results, even stopped down it tends to be a bit soft at the edges, which can work for some B/W, but would not work for color,I don't think that Voightlander even attempted to improve the lens, unlike the other lenses they made, such as the skoper, which started out as the scoper, uncoated, but when color started to come in it was improved, and coated, and and became the Color Skoper, and is superb with both color and B/W.

Richard
I think those skopars are tessar designs, so they aught to be good. I always assumed the "colour" prefix was, bar the coating, more of a marketing buzzword. A bit like "digital" is today
Old 25th August 2011, 02:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
the Ensign Selfix 20 is from the 1030's
Wow, that's old!!

I have used colour film in my Isolette with no apparent problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do these cameras have red windows to measure the winding on? If so there is the worry that light will creep around the edges and fog the film.
Colour film only has the numbers on the backing paper for one reason - so it can be read through windows. Light does not creep around corners and black and white film is sensitive to red light too!

.... and the same answer as above.

Steve.

Last edited by Steve Smith; 25th August 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 25th August 2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I have used my Ensign Selfix 1620 with colour film in the past with excellent results. I had no issue with the red window.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I think those skopars are tessar designs, so they aught to be good. I always assumed the "colour" prefix was, bar the coating, more of a marketing buzzword. A bit like "digital" is today
The Skopars were indeed tessar type lenses, but I find them to be better than the original tessars, I have 1 voightlander from the 40's with the uncoated skopar and 4 with the color skopar, and they difference between the 2 lenses is noticeable, and not just due to the coating, I remember reading somewhere that Voightlander improved the design of the lens as well as coating it to produce the color skopar,
Richard
Old 25th August 2011, 05:59 PM
Friend

Richard, a camera from the 1030s eh? That could explain the legend. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin. A Jersey photographer had missed the ferry to Poole but spotted a lot of French ships passing close by and hitched a lift. He was after all almost a neighbour.

A duke on board spotted his camera and when the photographer explained what it did, the duke said: "That's just what I need to record my visit to England but we're going a little more to the East than Poole. I'll take the snaps back to Bayeux and have the ladies make a tapestry out of the scenes unless you can guarantee the negatives for at least a thousand years".

The rest, as they say, is history.

Mike
Old 25th August 2011, 06:48 PM
Friend

Mike, You got your history wrong, you see, Jersey formed part of that dukes army, after all, we were part of his dukedom, and so we have the proud boast that we conquered you lot in 1066,and we still have a duke of Normandy, when your Queen visits us we address her as our Duke, so it was a Jersey Photographer who took the pictures that formed the bayeux Tapestry, Thats why Photography was invented in secret, by our Duke, and was hidden from those Saxons for so many centuarys
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 25th August 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: still cant spell
Old 25th August 2011, 07:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Mike, You got your history wrong, you see, Jersey formed part of that dukes army, after all, we were part of his dukedom, and so we have the proud boast that we conquered you lot in 1066,and we still have a duke of Normandy, when your Queen visits us we address her as our Duke, so it was a Jersey Photographer who took the pictures that formed the bayeux Tapestry, Thats why Photography was invented in secret, by our Duke, and was hidden from those Saxons for so many centuarys
Richard
Jersey where is that, is it village, town, county, or a country I know it's not inside the M25.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 25th August 2011, 07:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Butler View Post
Jersey where is that, is it village, town, county, or a country I know it's not inside the M25.
J.
Jersey is 12 miles from the coast of Normandy, the last remaining part of the old Dukedom of Normandy, just drive down to Poole or Weymouth and catch the Ferry, and you will find yourself in an Island that is more French than English, with our own Language, a Patois that is the Norman French that was spoken in our Good Duke Williams time,
Richard
Old 26th August 2011, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Wow, that's old!!

I have used colour film in my Isolette with no apparent problems.

Colour film only has the numbers on the backing paper for one reason - so it can be read through windows. Light does not creep around corners and black and white film is sensitive to red light too!

.... and the same answer as above.

Steve.
Yes Steve, I know why the numbers are there and I also know that, in the absence of a massive gravitational field, light does not bend around corners, but it does reflect.

Older cameras were not made with panchromatic film, let alone colour film, in mind and hence may not have been designed with good baffling from the red window. That of course is why it was red - because they were originally designed for orthochromatic film that was insensitive to red light and hence you could get away with a little stray red light reaching the film.

As I already said, I have found it not to be a problem in practice in my folders as long as I keep the window covered when not in use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies