Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th March 2012, 07:34 PM
Friend

Default Yashica Users

Hi everyone, are there any Yashica TLR users out there ?

Just bought and tried out a new to me Yashica 635. Got one or two half decent resuts. ( question for moderaters, are we permitted to post scans of negatives in relation to a thread ? ) If permitted will post a couple of negs for you to have a look at.

However the shutter seems to be intermittantly sticking on a couple of the slower speeds, any tips on how to free them up ? I'm not savvy enough to dismantle the camera and put it all back together again.

Think I'm going to enjoy using this camera.
Old 25th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Friend

might just need exersising, try firing the shutter at the speed that are sticking many times and sometimes this frees them up, if you can get to the shutter then a couple of drops of Ronsonal can work wonders freeing a sticky shutter, but only a couple of drops, I would not flood the shutter, I recently had a sticky shutter on one of my Retinas and just 3 drops of ronsonal and some shutter firing and it is now firing on all speeds, other than that then perhaps a CLA at Newton and Ellis, http://newtonellis.co.uk wil have it purring like a new shutter.
Richard
Old 25th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Friend

I have a Yashica124 with extra lenses that is lovely and performs well with a sharp lens. Not as sturdily made as the earlier model Yashicamats such as the 635, more plastic in the construction, but if it has a Yashinon rather than Yashikor lens excellent.
The 635 could be use with 35mm film with adaptors like some Rolleiflex models but the only person I know who had one said it was a faff to do so.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:52 PM
Friend

Yashikor lens rather than the Yashinon. I did um and err a bit about the differences in the two lenses before I bought it, but decided to give it a go, glad I did some of the results from first test roll look quite promising.

Sorry to say that like a lot of these my 635 and the 35mm adapter have been seperated at some time in the past, have you seen the prices that are being asked for these? no adaptor for me. Not that it matters as if I want to shoot 35mm will use my SLR.

Ian
Old 26th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Friend

Hi, I've got a Yashica Mat TLR, similar to the 635. It's got a lever wind on and double exposures are not possible (GOOD!), but requires a hand held light meter. It has the Yasinon lens.

I've only used it to test it, it feels well made. It felt really odd using it after a 35mm rangefinder or SLR. It's got a grid pattern on the viewfinder which really helped me. I'm going to use it properly this spring.

One of my work colleagues has a 635 and he used to use it back in the day and he loved it. He brought it in one day, it was well used but well loved. Seeing it made me buy my YM.

Hope you get your shutter fixed, perhaps you could find a local repairman?
Old 27th March 2012, 07:00 PM
Friend

I am an avid user of my Yashicamat 124G, my "go to" camera - with HP5 developed in Rodinal at the moment.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:28 PM
Friend

Thanks for the replies, have posted a couple of so-so prints in my new album on the forum. Camera not at fault for quality of prints, I'm afraid that's down to my inexperience. See what you think
Old 30th March 2012, 07:17 PM
Friend

I was left a Yashica Mat by a late friend last year and it's now my MF camera of choice. It had a full set of hoods and filters with it plus the wide-angle adapter, which isn't brilliant but gives some 'interesting' results in the right conditions.

Rob
Old 10th April 2012, 09:46 PM
Friend

The Yashicamat TLR's are good cameras and can produce excellent results. I bought an old one in the early nineties and used it until last year when the shutter seized completely. My DIY attempts at repair were unsuccessful and I decided that the cheapest option was to buy another which I did.
My advice would be to try exercising the shutter and Ronsonal but go to a repairers such as Newton and Ellis otherwise.
I hope that you can get it working without too much trouble (and expense)!
Old 12th April 2012, 10:52 AM
Friend

I have a Yashicamat 124 which I really like. I also have a Mamiya 645 Pro which, with its interchangable lenses, backs, winder grip etc. is much more versatile, but the little Yashica weighs about as much as the grip alone for the Mamiya. I really enjoy using it and it produces fine results. It really needs some additional internal blackening/baffling (need to do that on mine) or can produce a lot of flare with any backlight, but it's a great camera.

No advice on fixing the shutter but hope you get it going.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies