Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2012, 09:16 AM
Friend

Default Writing Britain: Wastelands to Wonderlands,

An interesting exhibition is now on at the British Library linking the written word with photography and, incidentally illustrating the importance of photographically recording that which, contemporarily, is regarded as mundane.

Food for thought as they say.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:26 AM
Friend

Thank you!
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th May 2012, 11:44 AM
Friend

thanks for that Dave it was very interesting as we know a camera can only do one thing ( other than annoy the wife)and that is to record that second in time when the shutter is pressed. it is one of the most important inventions, not as important than the written word ,but when you put them together can become equals and complement each other. if we are not careful the only people that will own our historically and socially important images will be the likes of the press agencies and companies like Getty images ,there seems to be a trend for local authorities to start photographic libraries of social history,but as we know local authorities cannot afford to fill in a hole in the road so building and maintaining a image library that could be closed with the next round of cuts and end up in the bin .
that is why what we take is important if only for future generations of our family.
I am not a very good ( not bad )photographer or a darkroom technician, i am I think a recorder to make up for my lack of artistic bent buy recording events over the years like demonstrations, strikes ,concerts ,fun fares and any old buildings or houses that are going to be knocked down or changed (as I come across them). my and my wife's life from when we first met ,our wedding ,the birth of our son ,his wedding then my grandson,plus my and my wife's families and friends all this may be mundane to some but a treasure to others .
and I think that is what we do best to do our hobby we have to take photos or should I say socially historically important images .
Old 9th May 2012, 12:23 PM
Friend

Well said Big Paul - only yesterday I passed through my old neighbourhood where I grew up and the changes were remarkable. Corner shops I used to frequent for sweets, etc, long gone. A few landmarks remain and the street layout was still the same. I really should return with the camera and record a few changes.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th May 2012, 01:33 PM
Friend

well Trevor this is the trouble every time you get used to something they come along and change it .
I was born and brought up and spent some of my married life in bethnal green, where ever I went in tower hamlets I would bump into somebody I knew. my old school in Columbia road is there but my secondary school in hoxton has been knocked down I did take some photos of it when I went there but they are long lost as are the negatives bethnal green has changed so much it is not the place I knew .
all of my friends have moved out most to Essex .
I am the only one that can look inside my brain at my memories so to share my memories the photograph is the next best thing .
I gave a photograph to a friend I took of him in the early 70s when he was a young lad ,he looked at it for sometime and when he looked up he was crying how powerful can one picture be, he gave me a cuddle and said thanks then I started crying.
Old 9th May 2012, 03:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
SNIP; I am the only one that can look inside my brain at my memories so to share my memories the photograph is the next best thing .
I gave a photograph to a friend I took of him in the early 70s when he was a young lad ,he looked at it for sometime and when he looked up he was crying how powerful can one picture be, he gave me a cuddle and said thanks then I started crying.
Priceless!

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies