Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2009, 06:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I don’t think that you should target yourself to compete with inkjets. You are selling a superior product, so they should be priced accordingly. I should think that there are enough tourists passing through that will appreciate quality work if they see it, and I think that the best place for them to see it is in galleries in the towns.
Thanks for all this guys. This is exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for.

I think you are right Dave and I will approach the local galleries when I have a few more editions completed. I know David Herrod sells his proper hand prints through a gallery in Cockermouth.
Steven
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:07 PM
Friend

Sorry I don't have a site at present, I'm new to this computing lark, my better half is the expert in that line and we were going to set one up early this year, but she was taken very ill in January and so it is on hold at the moment,we hope to have it up and running later this year, but from my point of view I don't think it will help greatly with print sales, just some publicity,and I very rarely do wedding's,I tend to leave that to the very many other local photographers,I do more portraits and things like history and heritage for the local trust, that type of work, along with the print sales,over here at least they seem to like the idea of tradtional black nand white photography, and the idea of archiving the results, and Ihave enough work for the forseable future, With no real competion I have found a niche market Richard
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:13 PM
Friend

That's excellent Richard. You don't need a web presence then. I asked really to get an idea of the sort of work you were getting print sales from. Thanks for your reply.
Steven
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:29 PM
Friend

Steven, I do a fair bit of landscape/seascape photography, I also have a classic car and attend a lot of events with it in the summer months with the Jersey Classic vehicle Club, of whom I am the photography and getb some nice "old car shots' which sell well, when time permits I do some still life work, and we also get across to France whenever we can, fairly easy from Jersey, My best sellers are the landscapes/seascapes.I echo daves point,we are selling a unique product.Hope this helps,Richard
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:38 PM
Friend

That's very helpful Richard, thanks. It is landscape that I am concentrating on so it's good to hear they are your best sellers. I am certainly promoting the notion of hand made prints, it will be my USP, I don't think that would have worked 10 years ago so from that angle I celebrate the digital age.
Steven
Old 2nd March 2009, 08:37 PM
Friend

I think your web site, because of the area that you are in, will get hits from potential tourists searching for general information on the area. If you are able to exploit that aspect it will mean that some visitors will be familiar with your work if they later chance across it in a gallery. With that in mind I think you should have the site under your own name, I don’t see the relevance of fordcottagephotography. Customers will be buying a Steven Taylor print, so that’s the name to push, quaint though the present one is.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:24 PM
Friend

Yes, Dave you are right. I own steventaylorphotography.co.uk which is pointed at my wedding site, steventaylorphotography.com is pointed at my client proofing and availability and staylorphoto.co.uk is an old gallery site. So I went for the current one but I think I should get another Steven Taylor one. Thanks for the tip.
Steven
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:44 PM
Friend

Just done some searches. I could get www.photographybysteventaylor.com what do you think? Or I could use that for my proofing, because my clients get there by linking from my main site anyway, and point steventaylorphotography.com at the fine art site?

Send the bill for consultancy at the end of the month.
Steven
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:23 PM
Friend

I think if you already have an established web presence you're probably best off keeping it, and have a choice of "commercial" or "fine art" on the home page. The reasoning being that search engines will already know of you, and there will be existing links in cyberspace - the more links that point to your site the further up the search engines listings you'll be. I did that with www.rhdigital.co.uk which points to my (gasp) inkjet supplies site but that site is actually a subset of www.rhdesigns.co.uk which is already well up the listings. As I like to point out when SEO salesmen call .

Long URL names can be a pain to type in (more chance of a typo!) so if you can keep it snappy I think that's an advantage as well.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Taylor View Post
Just done some searches. I could get www.photographybysteventaylor.com what do you think? Or I could use that for my proofing, because my clients get there by linking from my main site anyway, and point steventaylorphotography.com at the fine art site?

Send the bill for consultancy at the end of the month.
Steven
steventaylorphotography.com

seems to be being used by someone else at the moment. Did you forget to renew it
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies