Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd October 2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default Print developer

I use Ilfosol 3 developer for film but will change (I forget is it Rodenal someone suggested)

What should I get for prints remembering that the last time I used any I used Patersons

This ?

https://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Ilfor...25295/1155091/

Thanks

Last edited by Anon01; 2nd October 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:38 PM
Friend

That'll do fine.
Suits resin and fibre papers.
When I print 10x8 I mix about 500ml (50 ml dev +450 ml water) so a 1 litre bottle could do about 20 sessions. Say 42 pence per session. In realiy that won't happen; although some film developers (like Rodinal) last a long time I don't know of any paper developer whih is particularly long lasting. Once opened they'll oxidise. Slowly at first, but as you use more and there's more air in the bottle it speeds up. The last dregs will sometimes go 'off' quite suddenly.
Developer will start off clear, darken through straw, to brown. When it gets really dark bin it.
Paper is too expensive to waste when dev is so cheap.

You'll notice that the 5L size is more economical, but if you only print ocasionaly the larger size will spoil before you use it all.

ps- you can use the same fix for film and paper, just dilute it differently.
1+4 for film an re-use, 1+9 for paper and use it one shot. Contaminated fix an leave stains on prints

Last edited by skellum; 2nd October 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:56 PM
Friend

Ilford MG print developer does a good job. I'd buy 1L rather than 5L until you are sure that your printing volume justifies 5L

Mike
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:29 PM
Friend

Default Rodinal

As good as it is the results from Rodinal don't/won't suit everyone. It is not a fine grain developer but one that enhances sharpness if used as the makers suggest. With films faster that 100/125iso the result can be a bit 'gritty' and not to everyone's likening.

Until you get your feet well and truly under the darkroom bench (Metaphorically speaking) I would stay with Ilford ID11. It used to be called the processing standard and that was what it was. A 1 litre packet will be enough to process 8 films when diluted 1 to 1 and what may be more important to you is, even when mixed and in a part used bottle it will remain clear and active for AT LEAST 1 year. It is so very stable. One word though mix the powders exactly in the order that Ilford advise or the 2nd packet will take hours to disolve

Try to find a supply of 500cc glass bottles they are so very much better for preserving developers than plastic.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:37 PM
Friend

Is this thread about both print and film developers? I am confused

If it is about both it might be sensible to make another thread so we avoid cross contamination so to speak

Mike
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:59 AM
Friend

Paper developer, Mike.

Cannik mentioned in post 1 that he was going to be using Rodinal for film, and was querying PQ Universal as a good choice for Paper.

John just took the opportunity to point out Rodinal doesn't suit everyone.

See here for the actual discussion on film dev:
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hlight=ilfosol
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
That'll do fine.
Suits resin and fibre papers.
When I print 10x8 I mix about 500ml (50 ml dev +450 ml water) so a 1 litre bottle could do about 20 sessions. Say 42 pence per session. In realiy that won't happen; although some film developers (like Rodinal) last a long time I don't know of any paper developer whih is particularly long lasting. Once opened they'll oxidise. Slowly at first, but as you use more and there's more air in the bottle it speeds up. The last dregs will sometimes go 'off' quite suddenly.
Developer will start off clear, darken through straw, to brown. When it gets really dark bin it.
Paper is too expensive to waste when dev is so cheap.

You'll notice that the 5L size is more economical, but if you only print ocasionaly the larger size will spoil before you use it all.

ps- you can use the same fix for film and paper, just dilute it differently.
1+4 for film an re-use, 1+9 for paper and use it one shot. Contaminated fix an leave stains on prints
Thank you

Old 3rd October 2019, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Ilford MG print developer does a good job. I'd buy 1L rather than 5L until you are sure that your printing volume justifies 5L

Mike
Thanks and it never will, so 1L

Old 3rd October 2019, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Is this thread about both print and film developers? I am confused

If it is about both it might be sensible to make another thread so we avoid cross contamination so to speak

Mike
Print................. thanks
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies