Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2021, 11:35 AM
Friend

Just thought I'd post an update, I ended up buying a couple of boxes of J Lane dry plates which are currently manufactrured. Had some fun on the brighter days in Spring 2020 and shot a few genuinely really good photos with this camera.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agulliver View Post
Just thought I'd post an update, I ended up buying a couple of boxes of J Lane dry plates which are currently manufactrured. Had some fun on the brighter days in Spring 2020 and shot a few genuinely really good photos with this camera.
I'm curious about dry plate. Perhaps you could show something of the results and process?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:25 PM
Friend

This is my favourite shot, from April 2020 in local countryside. I was using the J Lane 2ASA ortho plates, so the speed of the emulsion is very slow. In bright sunlight at f4.5 I was able to hand hold at 1/10s but I recommend most people will want to use a tripod.

Mr. Lane also makes "speed plates" at 25ASA which I intend to try soon as I have a box waiting for the right circumstances. These are also orthochromatic.

I process them in a vintage Envoy plate processing tank which i load in a changing bag. That is fiddly, it holds 4 plates but getting them in the right position is tricky and I cracked one because I just couldn't get it correctly inserted. I develop for around 9 minutes in Ilford ID-11, wash with water then fix with Adofix P. At some point I'll regain access to my enlarger and printing stuff and will make contact prints, for now I scan on an Epson flatbed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92449805_10156790688071577_966181072515629056_o.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	4056  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies