Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th March 2021, 01:19 PM
Friend

Default Backpack recommendation

I'm after a large backpack which can hold a medium format camera with 2 to 3 lenses and a 35mm camera with 2 to 3 lenses. Ideally it would need some space for a drink and lunch along with a way to attach a tripod.

I have been looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endurax-Bac...ct_top?ie=UTF8 but as they all seem to be aimed at DSLR, laptops and drones I feel a bit lost.

The biggest camera is my RB67 which i would need to fit along with an olympus om.

any suggestions?

Thanks
David
Old 28th March 2021, 02:22 PM
Friend

I think the Lowepro Tahoe BP150 is pretty good. I got two of them in Calumet; so Wex probably have them.
Old 28th March 2021, 02:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think the Lowepro Tahoe BP150 is pretty good. I got two of them in Calumet; so Wex probably have them.
Thanks looks a bit small for what I am after
Old 28th March 2021, 02:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
The biggest camera is my RB67 which i would need to fit along with a 35mm camera with 2 to 3 lenses. Ideally it would need some space for a drink and lunch along with a way to attach a tripod.
I would think you would need to do a lot of weight lifting training with this load!

Tony
Old 28th March 2021, 02:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
I would think you would need to do a lot of weight lifting training with this load!

Tony
Probably, at the moment I'm using an Unmet Video - Photo bag which currently has a Bronica S2a, 2 lenses and 2 backs also a OM4Ti with 2 lenses and a few other bits. I can manage the weight but the backpack is not very comfortable and don't think it was an expensive make when new.

David
Old 28th March 2021, 05:01 PM
Friend

I have a couple of Kata bags which are good quality, and light. They hold a lot, but perhaps not the entire load you are proposing. The larger one is called the Bumblebee, and came in light, and very light versions. It could certainly do the MF kit, but probably not the OM as well. They are comfortable, well made bags, and come up on eBay quite often.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 28th March 2021, 05:57 PM
Friend

I have a Shimoda Design Explore 60. Extremely well made and very flexible as it uses a range of inserts. The inserts come with covers to keep the dust out when they're being stored. The main opening is on the back so it doesn't get dirty when the bag is put down. There are different size straps available and the straps are also height adjustable to cater for different torso lengths.

I have a large insert filled with a Fujifilm GX617 and a couple of lenses, and a mid-sized one with a (cough!) Fujifilm X-Pro1/X-Pro3 set-up. I'm looking to get some more for a Rolleiflex SL66, a Leica M, a Fujifilm GX680 (though that may be one step too far) and a Rolleiflex 3003.

The Shimoda bags are available from Ffordes and Cambrian Photo.
Old 28th March 2021, 06:11 PM
Friend

I use the Lowepro photo trekker 650 AW for 4x5" monorail and 8x10" clamshell cameras. For 4x5" fixed bodied and clamshell cameras or for medium formats and multi-formats the smaller 450 version of the same bag would probably be big enough.

I took my gear along to the camera shop and tried it in the few bags that were anywhere near suitable. I would highly recommend this approach. They also come up second-hand as they are a bit overkill for most peoples needs.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th March 2021, 07:09 PM
Friend

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th March 2021, 07:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I use the Lowepro photo trekker 650 AW for 4x5" monorail and 8x10" clamshell cameras. For 4x5" fixed bodied and clamshell cameras or for medium formats and multi-formats the smaller 450 version of the same bag would probably be big enough.

I took my gear along to the camera shop and tried it in the few bags that were anywhere near suitable. I would highly recommend this approach. They also come up second-hand as they are a bit overkill for most peoples needs.

There seems to be a few lowepro versions , is this the one you mean

Lowepro Flipside Trek 450 Backpack, Photography Backpack for DSLR and Multiple Lenses, Camera Backpack for Laptop, Tablet, Photography Accessories, Tripod, Grey, 28.5 x 21 x 49 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1JTD...FKMTQVPN811JPA

Thanks
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies