Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2009, 05:25 PM
Friend

Default Freezing paper

Hello - I'm a recently signed-up member and still a bit of a darkroom novice, so it's great to find this forum

I have recently been playing about with lith printing, and has (what I considered to be) some lovely results with Maco Expo RF paper. Sadly, and typically, I believe it's out of production - but I managed to get hold of a few leftover packs.

I would like to preserve its life as best I can (I don't get into the darkroom as much as I would like), and I have read that the best way to do this is by sticking it in the freezer inside a bin liner or two.

Just before I consign this precious paper to cohabitation with the dregs of my old meals...

is this really true and recommended? I don't want to find that ice crystals get in with it and ruin it (in the way they seem to do with my leftover suppers...!).

Is there a maximum time that one should do this for?

Many thanks
jim
Old 15th September 2009, 05:46 PM
Friend

Jim, I have been keeping paper and film in the freezer for years without problems.

The bin liner or two is a good idea - but mainly for when you take the paper out of the freezer.

It needs a generous amount of time to thaw out 12 ~ 24hrs.

Paper is really slow to decay even in ambient temperatures, putting it in the freezer will slow it down the decay far more.

If you don't do much printing at any one time, it might be worth while to split up your paper stock into usable amounts before you consign it to the freezer.

Just like food, it’s not a good idea to thaw and re-freeze paper numerous times.

Martin
Old 15th September 2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome Jim,

What Martin has said is sound advice.
Old 15th September 2009, 05:51 PM
Friend

That's reassuring Martin - many thanks for the information.

(I'll not have so much room for the food now though...
still - I believe in getting my priorities right!)

all the best
jim
Old 15th September 2009, 05:52 PM
Friend

Thanks Barry - blimey - you get quick replies on here!
Old 15th September 2009, 05:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerslake View Post
Thanks Barry - blimey - you get quick replies on here!
Welcome Jim.
I'm not convinced about the benefit of freezing paper, but I'm sure it does no harm, if you follow Martin's advice.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:11 PM
Friend

Hi Jim and welcome to FADU. I don't routinely freeze paper but have done so occasionally and it has been OK when thawed out and used.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Friend

Hi to you all !!

I did previously find that some Fotospeed Lith paper *seemed* to be a bit degraded after a year in my warm-ish bedroom... it gave rise to more unpleasant marks and pepper-fog than it had done previously. Hence the consideration of freezing... since Maco Expo is (to my tastes) the nicest Lith paper I have tried to date.

Thanks again folks -
jim
Old 16th September 2009, 07:14 AM
Friend

There's no danger of ice crystals forming in the emulsion due to freezing, the water content of dry gelatin is too small. If you want chapter & verse on pretty much everything traditional permanence related, inc freezing, download the Wilhelm book;

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

This used to be a £75 hardback, but Wilhelm didn't republish when they focussed their attention on d*gital permanence, hence it was placed online.
Old 16th September 2009, 07:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
There's no danger of ice crystals forming in the emulsion due to freezing, the water content of dry gelatin is too small. If you want chapter & verse on pretty much everything traditional permanence related, inc freezing, download the Wilhelm book;

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

This used to be a £75 hardback, but Wilhelm didn't republish when they focussed their attention on d*gital permanence, hence it was placed online.
Useful information in abundance. I've placed a link to it in our links section for future reference.

Tags
expo, freezing, lith, mace, paper
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies