Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2015, 01:08 PM
New User

Default Hello from Denmark

Hello all,
I am a new member as of today. I am a Norwegian living in Denmark. I have been practicing photography as a hobby since 1976 or thereabouts (which says something about my age). My first proper camera was a Pentax ME with a 28mm, 50mm and 135mm kit, and later additions were the Pentax MX, ME Super, Super A, MZ-3 … and lately a retro, but well-functioning Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F.

At the end of 2005 I strayed into digital with the Pentax *istDS DSLR, and trying to catch up with the rapid developments in digital photography I also acquired the Pentax K10D, K20D and Pentax K-5 before I realised that this was not the way for me. I have retained the K-5 and some DA* lenses and still shoot some digital now and then, but my new-found love is film.

In the last couple of years some classic Pentax 6x7 cameras with a number of gorgeous lenses have snuck into my camera bag, later to be joined by a couple of Pentax 645 N film bodies with a small assortment of lenses - some manual, some autofocus - and a number of film inserts. What a fantastic system! A Mamiya C330 Professional with three lenses has also turned up somehow.

I started doing darkroom work (self-taught) in 1978 and my Meopta Axomat 4 saw regular use up until the so-called “Millennium”, when digital began to take over.

Luckily, I never sold my old film gear, and when a local professional photographer went “all digital” two years back, I cleaned out his darkroom. I am now the lucky owner of two Durst Laborator L1200 enlargers with one standard condenser head, one BWL 450 diffuser head, one CLS 450 colour head and one Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H head between them. I also got me a Jobo ATL-1500 film processor with several Jobo 2500-series tanks that I use to develop B/W, colour negative (C-41) and colour positive (E-6) films.

In spite of (or maybe just because of) all the new (old) gear I have acquired lately, I still feel like a beginner with a lot to learn and am therefore glad to be able to join a forum such as this. I look forward to reading and hopefully participating in many interesting discussions. Film certainly is not dead!

My flickr handle is holtelars
... and my favourite podcast is the FilmPhotographyPodcast

Last edited by Lars Holte; 28th January 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 28th January 2015, 09:47 PM
Friend

Welcome to the forum Lars.

Funny how photographic equipment sneaks into the bag isn't it. I seem to have bought a spare back for my SQ-Ai this evening without of course intending to
Old 28th January 2015, 09:56 PM
Friend

Hello Lars and welcome to FADU.

You've picked up some prime photo and darkroom gear. Looking forward to seeing the results.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 28th January 2015, 10:00 PM
Friend

Welcome Lars.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:25 PM
Friend

Welcome Lars.
I have said many times that I must reduce the number of cameras I have, but it never seems to happen, so it looks like the kids will have to deal with it all when I go to that great darkroom in the sky.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:47 PM
Friend

welcome to FADU Lars ,you have a great collection of cameras there ,I have been looking for a glass fronted display cabinet to put my cameras in ,they will make a nice display and also when I want to use one of them i just need to take on of the shelf instead of having to go through all my camera cases ....

www.essexcockney.com
Old 28th January 2015, 11:14 PM
Friend

Default Charm of the old

Hello, Lars, and welcome. I, like you, am new here and all these guys seem to make a friendly crowd.

It seems like you are discovering, as I and apparently thousands of others have, that there is a fundamental absence of "charm" in much modern technology. I have recently bought two Pentax ME Supers and their elegance is so appealing to me.

I saw this web article yesterday and it really rang true.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30879638

Unfortunately for me, I do not have space yet for a darkroom. But I am planning........

Roy
Old 29th January 2015, 01:03 AM
Friend

Welcome Lars from another Pentax user who has a 35mm MZ7 and a P645N. I think I was the only 645N user until now so it is nice to know that FADU now has another 645N user.

Mike
Old 29th January 2015, 06:24 AM
Friend

Hi Lars welcome to FADU.
Richard
Old 29th January 2015, 07:50 AM
New User

Thank you for all your positive replies.

I have to admit that I am a Pentax guy through and through. Many years ago I dreamt about owning the huge Pentax 6x7 and later the more sleek and modern Pentax 645N, and now they are within reach financially. So no, Mike O'Pray, you are no longer the only one.

The positive thing about hoarding old film gear is that the prices are already rock-bottom. So buying it, using it and (perhaps) selling it later will not set you back by much.

Digital cameras, however, are consumer electronics, and after just a few years much of the initial investment is simply lost. They are about as much worth as old cellular phones or old electonic calculators, i.e. next to nothing. So I treasure my film gear. Like "big paul" I planned a display cabinet (Ikea has one in the Billy series), but is already too small

I also find that, for me, processing film and working in the darkroom is much more satisfying and more of a craft than photoshopping on a PC.

Last edited by Lars Holte; 29th January 2015 at 07:53 AM.

Tags
darkroom, durst, film, jobo, pentax
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies