Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Auctions of Interest

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd March 2015, 02:54 PM
Friend

Default Disgraceful decription.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEVERE-504...item4192fa9360

Listings like this make my blood boil.
Old 23rd March 2015, 03:37 PM
Friend

They look home-made to me!
Old 23rd March 2015, 04:34 PM
Friend

This is nothing to get steamed up about

De Vere never made a panoramic negative carrier insert for the XPAN's panoramic negs. So if you want a dedicated neg insert to take these 35mm film panoramic negs you have to make one yourself, or get a friendly engineer to knock something up for you. This item is a pair of filed out 35mm De Vere inserts - for XPAN negs. OK, it is crudely done but it will do the trick and will hold the XPAN panoramic negs nice and flat - much better than a card one.

How do I know? I did this myself about 12 years ago and I'm still using the insert today. I simply picked up a cheap (when they were cheap!) De Vere 35mm insert on eBay and filed it out. In fact I filed my effort out a tad more than this one so that I could print that lovely irregular boarder effect around my image, just like some 35mm photographers used to do many years ago - it looks nice and arty too.

However, I must admit this insert does look a bit pricey but if you have an XPAN, and a De Vere, it may save you the cost of buying a 35mm DE Vere insert (now quite expensive) and doing the job yourself.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd March 2015, 05:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
This is nothing to get steamed up about

De Vere never made a panoramic negative carrier insert for the XPAN's panoramic negs. So if you want a dedicated neg insert to take these 35mm film panoramic negs you have to make one yourself, or get a friendly engineer to knock something up for you. This item is a pair of filed out 35mm De Vere inserts - for XPAN negs. OK, it is crudely done but it will do the trick and will hold the XPAN panoramic negs nice and flat - much better than a card one.

How do I know? I did this myself about 12 years ago and I'm still using the insert today. I simply picked up a cheap (when they were cheap!) De Vere 35mm insert on eBay and filed it out. In fact I filed my effort out a tad more than this one so that I could print that lovely irregular boarder effect around my image, just like some 35mm photographers used to do many years ago - it looks nice and arty too.

However, I must admit this insert does look a bit pricey but if you have an XPAN, and a De Vere, it may save you the cost of buying a 35mm DE Vere insert (now quite expensive) and doing the job yourself.

Neil.
I have also made a pair of 35mm panoramic carrier inserts for my DV504 by enlarging the aperture of a standard 35mm by very carefully hacksawing and fine filing, this example looks like it has been cut out with a blunt cold chisel and a lump hammer
Old 23rd March 2015, 05:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
I have also made a pair of 35mm panoramic carrier inserts for my DV504 by enlarging the aperture of a standard 35mm by very carefully hacksawing and fine filing, this example looks like it has been cut out with a blunt cold chisel and a lump hammer
Just as well you are not in the market for one then

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 23rd March 2015, 07:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanannan View Post
this example looks like it has been cut out with a blunt cold chisel and a lump hammer
Is there a better way?!!

Steve.
Old 10th May 2016, 08:07 AM
Friend

Yes possibly with a sharpened tin opener! They cannot be any worse finish
Old 10th May 2016, 08:42 AM
Friend

Having made negative carrier inserts in the past for my Durst and Johnsons enlargers I wouldn't damage De Vere carriers to end up with such a poor finish.

It's better to start with new aluminium sheet, which I bought last year and must get around to cutting to make 6x17 and 7x5 carriers for my De Vere 5108

Ian
Old 10th May 2016, 09:10 AM
Friend

Default What a "Bodge"

The best way to do it is to do a 5 year apprenticeship at British Steel as a Fitter. You would have all the skills to do a simple job like that and much more. Wait a minute! There are no apprenticeships for Machine Shop Fitters and Britsh Steel is no more.
Old 10th May 2016, 10:36 AM
Friend

Do I detect cynicism?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies