Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st March 2021, 05:23 PM
Friend

Default New Intrepid Enlarger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9JvY7P9GlA

I have just seen a video on this new enlarger. Apparently Intrepid are hoping to launch a kickstarter project on this very shortly

Clearly it is aimed at newcomers who in many cases do not have or maybe never will have the space, money etc for a dedicated darkroom. The enlarger controls look to be addressed to the twin concepts of "everything in one small box" and that of ease of use

No mention of price which of course tends to be key to its success but unless they want a lot of money for it then it might well encourage the newcomer "hybriders" ( develop film but all else done digitally ) to have a go at darkroom printing.

Interestingly and for the first time as far as I can see for this presenter, called Shootlikeaboss, Ilford has contributed chemicals and paper

So it may be that Ilford sees possibilities her to encourage sales of darkroom paper and chemicals

Mike
Old 1st March 2021, 09:02 PM
Friend

I’ve seen a few discussions about this on various online groups - lots of interest in it. Intrepid have built up quite a loyal following through their cameras and I wouldn’t be surprised to see this bit of kit be well supported. Perhaps version 1 might not be the one to buy but Intrepid seem to be here for the long run and sort out teething problems reasonably efficiently.

It’s great that someone is prepared to bring a new enlarger to the market. As you say, Mike, it might well encourage a new generation to get involved with ‘the dark side’!

Michael
Old 1st March 2021, 10:30 PM
Friend

Default New enlarger

In two words - not impressed. Hitching an enlarging head onto what looks like an adapted Benbo Tripod with the head stuck out on a limb I would say is a recipe for vibration.

Not for me I will stick with my LPL. A tried and tested design.
Old 2nd March 2021, 09:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
In two words - not impressed. Hitching an enlarging head onto what looks like an adapted Benbo Tripod with the head stuck out on a limb I would say is a recipe for vibration.
Anything that might tempt photographers into the magical world of silver printing has to be encouraged in my opinion.
With respect, as you will know John, photographers have used this method of mounting cameras like this for decades to shoot close-ups and for copying so, given the same care in setting up, why shouldn't this be a success.
Perhaps Intrepid should include a warning to to purchasers not to leap up and down with excitement during the exposure. Of course we would all like the best equipment but with a finished print in your hand can you honestly tell what kind of enlarger produced it?
I wish Intrepid every success in this new venture.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

Not for me I will stick with my LPL. A tried and tested design.

For someone without a dedicated darkroom the LPL is a bit of a monster though!
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Haithwa View Post
Anything that might tempt photographers into the magical world of silver printing has to be encouraged in my opinion.
With respect, as you will know John, photographers have used this method of mounting cameras like this for decades to shoot close-ups and for copying so, given the same care in setting up, why shouldn't this be a success.
This will work very well with cameras where the exposure is measured in small fractions of a second, but with enlargers the time is in large fractions of a minute therefore more chance of the effect of vibration.
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
For someone without a dedicated darkroom the LPL is a bit of a monster though!
Loveable monsters though!
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:55 PM
Friend

Yes, little or none of this product is really meant for us on FADU or at least not most of us who are mostly well equipped "old sweats" who have most everything we need but frankly something has to be done to attract newcomers to the darkroom otherwise the products we use and need may last long enough for us but I fear for the longer term future of the darkroom unless there is a change

Mike
Old 2nd March 2021, 04:19 PM
Friend

It also (presumably) has the advantage of being a complete solution for newcomers who might be daunted at buying a decades-old enlarger which might not have been used in years and possibly missing bits&pieces like carriers, power supply, lenses etc.

As you say, Mike, I doubt FADU members are the target audience.
Michael
Old 2nd March 2021, 04:59 PM
Friend

Default Inbuilt problems

Yes there is no doubt that new innovation may attract new darkroom workers to the sometime delights of making prints in a darkroom. This device could quite easily work the other way. I am sure we all know of the disappointment of making a print only to find it is unsharp. Too many disappointments can kill off any enthusiasm.

With the standard design with the head supported on a column it is easy to dodge or burn from either side but with this one the left side is obstructed.

There are some things that can be created to make any task easier, then someone comes along and creates a completely new design which will in theory do the same job, but there may be flaws in the design. Another design difficulty may be the position of the head. To make a print that is sharp from corner to corner, apart from a top quality lens, the head needs to be truly vertical. Unless there is some automatic way of setting this accurately, moving the head up and down risks upsetting the plane parallel sitting of the head. A fixed vertical column ensures this.

Using an old enlarger that is 'creaking at the hinges' isn't the best, we all like new things, but there are an awful lot of enlargers that have been not used for a long time
still work and function as well as they did originally and are ideal for those just starting out.

How much will this enlarger cost 'new'? There are probably fully operational enlargers that will cost a lot less to do the same job.

Yes I think will I stick with my LPL.

Last edited by John King; 2nd March 2021 at 05:14 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies